Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Something New

As I mentioned in my last posting I am learning Photoshop Elements 8 and I am taking an online class called Digital Journal Magic taught by Marie Otero. I am familiar with what we are doing but never really did any digital journal pages before.

The first one pretty much follows what Marie taught in the first lesson. The other two I was playing around with on my own using some of the things she showed us.














Credits: all basic images provided by Marie Otero














Credits: background is from ShadowHouse Creations
crown by CRenee at scrapbookgraphics.com
splattergraffiti borders by studio tangie at scrapbookgraphics.com
postcard, journal tag and lace by Manuela Zimmermann at scrapbookgraphics.com
dirty grid by ThinkDesign














Credits: background TextureKing at flickr
tree, bird, rose by Manuela Zimmermann at scrapbookgraphics.com
statue from Marie Otero
rust curlique by Ztampf at scrapbookgraphics.com
all other images from my personal collection

This is all I have been able to do art-wise the past few weeks. Over the weekend I was printing some images to play around with when I started having trouble with the printer and getting the ink colors to print. I had just replaced three of the ink cartridges and by the time it was all over with the brand new black was nearly empty, the blue which had been half full was almost gone and the new red and yellow cartridges were down by a quarter. I hadn't even gotten anything printed during this. AND it is still not printing the red or yellow. I have had this printer for nearly four years and I do a LOT of printing. I just don't understand why every time you change a cartridge it has to use a big part of the ink just to get started printing again. Ink is not cheap! I suppose the printhead could be getting worn out. I just hate to think I have to go out and buy a new printer again and end up with the same situation each time a cartridge has to be changed.

I suppose I could do like the lady who wrote a review for a printer I was researching (the all-in-one printer only cost $32 at a well-known chain store). She said it was a good printer and did a good job, easy to get set up etc. Then she remarked about the cost of ink. She said that for what it cost to buy new ink cartridges (this model uses 4 individual ones) it was just cheaper to go and buy a new printer which included the ink whenever she ran out of ink for that printer! No wonder the landfills are so full of our crap!

2 comments:

Lost Aussie said...

These pages are just fabulous. I agree with you about the landfill junk thing, it's sad really.
Good luck with your new printer hunt.

Heather said...

Lovely artwork.

I bought an Epson D78 I buy the Epson compatible inks on Ebay and get excellent results at a fraction of the price of Epson inks