Monday, September 14, 2009

A Computer Saga

I have owned one sort or another computer since the mid 80’s. And I was always hearing from one person or another about having major problems with their computers at some point. Well a week ago it finally happened to me, or so I thought. I had been having some little hiccups off and on since last spring, and last week my computer finally decided to not work properly. It didn’t die or anything but when I plugged it back in and turned it on (after we had a thunderstorm) nothing would come up on the monitor. Now I suppose most people would think right there and then that it was the monitor, but not me. Why? Because I had just been on the computer a few hours earlier and no problems then.

As I said before, I thought there must be some sort of problem with the computer such as a conflict with software or some such thing, as it seems every time I install something new little things seem to change and some times cause problems. I knew I wasn’t going to figure this out on my own so I called The Geek Squad and arranged for an agent to come to my house last Friday to run diagnostics on the computer. He came in and sat down. I turned on the computer and told him about the problems I had been having for months (meaning it was taking several minutes for anything to come up on the screen when I “woke the computer up”). He took a quick check of the plug wires on the monitor and promptly told me after about two minutes that I needed a new monitor. I mean I really thought it was any thing but that. His 15 minute visit cost me $130. And then I had to go buy a new monitor!!

After coming home and installing the monitor, I get on the computer and notice there is no sound. I do everything I can think of (which doesn’t say much) to try and get the sound fixed. Finally I gave up and called the store and spoke to another Geek Squad agent only to be told that the monitor I purchased doesn’t have built in speakers and that I could either return the monitor or I could purchase speakers. Now tell me, am I the only one who doesn’t know not ALL monitors have built in speakers? I mean every one I had before had speakers built in. And don’t you think the salesperson could have mentioned this when I asked him if there was anything else I needed to buy. So I went online and did some comparisons and after chatting with customer service to make sure the ones I picked were compatible with my computer, I placed my order. They are supposed to be here by Thursday.

Guess what I am getting/got for my birthday?

1 comment:

Doreen G said...

Don't you just love it when things like this happen around your birtday time.