Friday, July 10, 2009

Latest Creation

A short while back I decided to make myself a summer purse. I pretty much just played it by ear designing and sewing it. I didn’t want a purse that was soft and floppy, so I used firm flex to create a stiffer body that would hold up to repeated use. I got the body finished and then made the flap separately. It took me a little longer to make the lining than I thought it would, because I wanted a partition in it, creating two sections. I also made a large pocket for the back section.

After the lining was made and pinned in place along with the flap and strap, I discovered it was going to be very tricky sewing it all together because of the stiffness of the purse. I didn’t think I was going to be able to sew it, so I let it lay for a week or so. I finally decided to take the plunge and give it a shot and hoped that I wouldn’t make a mess of stitching it together.

Here it is. It measures roughly 12 inches wide by 8 inches tall by 3 inches deep.
















The fabric I used is a mid-weight decorator one. For the lining I chose from my stash this script fabric, partially for the color and more so, because I had two yards of it!



































I am debating whether or not to add some kind of decorative item to the flap. I have a couple of jewelry pieces to choose from, but I also am considering something textile or fiber.

3 comments:

Doreen G said...

Wow Micki that looks fantastic.
I have some of the fabric that you lined it with--someone gave it to me in a swap.

MargaretR said...

The bag is lovely Micki. I was looking at some expensive bags today and they all seem to have something hanging from the strap or somewhere on them. I would definitely go for a textiley dangly rather than jewellery myself.

Ati. Norway. said...

What a super bag! This will be handy in every occasion! Can you tell me what the maker is from the lining fabric please? I like it very much.