Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fabric Bowls

Last fall Susan Lenz was showing some of the incredible work she was creating during her six week artist residency at the Robert M. MacNamara Foundation in Maine. After seeing her series of acorn cap pots/bowls I decided I must give a try at creating one of these soft fiber pots, minus the acorn caps.

I wasn’t exactly sure how to go about this so I pulled out this book that I’ve had for ages (but hadn’t tried anything yet from it).





















It turned out to be easier than I thought, but somewhat time consuming i.e. making the yarn rope to create the bowl.














As usual, I had to stray a little from the directions and do my own thing, hence the somewhat wonky shape. This one measures 2 ½ inches tall by 4 ½ inches across.

Since I had the book out, I figured I might as well have a go at creating one of the clothesline wrapped bowls from the book, especially after seeing all of the ones that Terry and Vicki made recently.




















This one measures 2 ¾ inches tall and 7 ¾ inches across. DH named it Lava.

11 comments:

Guzzisue said...

I've not tried this method yet but I do like the second bowl :-)

Carol said...

Nice to see you back Micki love the colours of the second bowl

Gina said...

The Lava bowl is amazing. It looks like a lot of work.

Doreen K. said...

Love your bowls. I had seen Terri's bowls and went digging for my book. Will have to try these.

Nellie's Needles said...

Very niiiiice! It's good to see you playing. I just saw Susan's fabulous bowls ... some with the acorn caps and one without. It surprised me how fine her ropes of fabric were. Between you two, I want to play, too.

Conni said...

WOW! These are great!

laura west kong said...

those are wonderful, i'll have to try one someday. =(^_^)=

Sandie Grisé said...

first off you have a cool blog!

I'm taking a class tomorrow making bowls from this book. I'm excited to be trying something new- and what a great way to use up fabric scraps!

Waltraud said...

Hi Micki,
the bowls are so pretty,
regards
Waltraud

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Hello Micki, your textile bowls both look great! Have you seen the textile beggar's bowl I made in a similar technique? The link is: www.bockfilz.blogspot.com/2009/01/textile-beggars-bowl-as-what-if-project.html
(Have posted the answer to you question about size under your comment.)

StegArt said...

Your bowls turned out great!!!