Thursday, October 16, 2008

Finally















YEA! I have finally completed the lap quilt. I started it back last April. Of course, there were periods where I didn’t work on it at all and that’s why it took so long to finish. That is the front above. This is the largest piece I have ever worked on. It measures 49 inches by 72 inches. When it came time to decide how to quilt it I chose to simply “stitch in the ditch” because I only have my domestic sewing/embroidery machine to quilt it on. It did prove to be a hassle at times trying to wrestle the thing through the machine.

You probably don’t remember that when I finished the top I mentioned I ordered fabric for the back but then didn’t really like it after it arrived. I went back to the stash and pulled enough fabrics to piece together a backing.This is what the back looks like. Sorry for the poor picture quality. The fabrics really look better in person than they do in the photo.
















Now when I started to piece this backing I had in mind that I wanted the squares to line up with the blocks on the front even though they are different in size. When I got ready to put together the quilt sandwich I used a temporary basting spray. I “basted” the back to the batting, sprayed the batting again to adhere the front and discovered that lining up the front with the back was going to be a lot harder than I thought. After two attempts, I pulled the top off and left the back/batting pieces lay out on the living room floor for about a week waiting for the stickiness of the basting spray to “go away”. I proceeded to try laying the top out again, this time really taking my time and all in all I did a pretty good job of making it happen. This isn’t a prize winning quilt but it certainly will keep us warm.

On another note as you can see in the photos, we still need to stain the deck flooring.

I also want to thank everyone once again for stopping by. I will try not to make it so long in between postings and hope to have more to show soon.

15 comments:

Fran├žoise said...

Beautiful quilt! And the back looks nice too.
Great job.

Carol said...

Beautiful quilt Micki congratulations on finishing, I love the back as much as the front

Doreen G said...

Well done Micki it looks wonderful and the back is a delight also.

Ati. Norway. said...

Congratulations Micki, your quilt looks beautiful and cosy. It is always a relief to have some large work finished, isn't it?

Vicki W said...

The quilt is beautiful!

Deb Geyer said...

Nice quilt Micki!!

Lise said...

Beautiful work Micki!! I wonder why I suddenly came to think about my unfinished lapquilt- haven't thought about it for several months!!

Cat said...

Both your quilt and your deck are absolutly gorgeous.

The quilt is such an awesome accomplishment - I have never made anything that large and that detailed both! Love the back too!

Scrapmaker said...

Your quilt looks great! Congratulations on finishing. Jen

Gunnels blog said...

Beautiful quilt! What a great work!and i like the backside too!

Conni said...

It turned out great - love the back, too! Well done!

English Rose said...

Well done, you've done a fantastic job. I know what you mean about wrestling the darn thing under a domestic sewing machine, it makes it hard work. but definitely worth it.

Morna said...

What a beautiful quilt! Front AND back! :-)

My Ladies Fine Designs said...

Amazing work, a great talent.

Cestandrea said...

Hi Micky, haven't visited you for a long time, shame on me, but: Oh my God, what an amazing work, and the colours are lovely, just what we like now that autumn is on it's way! Love those colours and wow, this intricate pattern!
love
Andrea
Thanks so much for visiting and commenting yesterday!