Monday, June 30, 2008

Felted Landscape Redo

In my previous post I asked for some honest critique on my felted landscape piece. If you are a long time reader of my blog you know that I have done several felted landscapes before this piece. Those previous pieces had little or no hand stitching on them. I added stitching to this piece as it was created for the Embellish Stitch and Enrich online class that I am currently taking.

First let me say thank you to those who commented, especially to Debby W and Paula Hewitt (who don’t have email). It is much appreciated. I wanted honest critique on this and that is what I was given. Sometimes it helps to have some one else point out what is good and what is bad with a particular piece.

Paula stated that my use of detached chain stitch on the one green tree made it stand out too much, especially since it really isn’t the focal point in Camilles’ painting. I debated which stitch I was going to use on that particular area and actually started with the seed stitch, but changed my mind (I knew I was wrong in doing this but went ahead) and did the detached chain. Of course, afterwards I could see it really was not the best choice and I even said so in my previous posting. She also stated that she would have used straight stitches for the purple border (to emulate the brush strokes in the painting). I actually had considered that when starting that area, but decided to use the French knots instead.

So thanks to this input, I went back and took out the detached chain stitching and did seed stitching on the tree. It looks better, but still not quite right, but I think I can live with it now.


















On a different note, I received this in the mail Saturday.




















This ATC is from Karen, who as far as I know does not have a blog. She is the one to whom I sent the red ATC from the previous post. She also sent along these lovely pieces of lace and feathers.



















I have been working on more samples from the online class and will show them very soon.

6 comments:

Doreen G said...

Micki the landscape is perfect now.

Ati. Norway. said...

Micki the landscape looks much better now, it is lovely!

Gina said...

The landscape looks lovely - the stitching seems to sit perfectly in the felt.

paulahewitt said...

I think the landscape looks lovely now! And Im glad i only confirmed what you already thought!

Homeleightigger said...

Hi Micki - the landscape is beautiful. Just out of interest though, not a criticism, why did you choose to do all your stitching in 'matching' threads, when there are so many different colours in the original? I've signed on with Dale for this course in August ....... ! Val

sammy said...

Mikki, I found all your stitching on the trees and bushes to be the right choice... I do agree with the line of stitching with the french knots, but I would instead of taking the french knots out, I would have done some feather stitching using a very thin or less amount of floss for the feather stitches coming out from the line of stitching... it is truly awesome all the way around!