My first WIP (work in progress) that I decided to work on is one that I started last June. Back then I played around with the idea of making a small fabric book with the theme of mermaids. After thinking on it for a while (size, how to put pages together, etc) I decided that maybe a small wall hanging would be better (read easier). So I started going through my stash and pulled all the fabrics I thought I might use. I picked three and got started.
This is how far I got with the piece back then before laying it aside to start on something else.
Sorry the photo is not that great. It is a little on the dark side but when I tried to lighten it, it really changed the colors. The background fabrics are all commercial hand-dyed. It measures roughly 14 x 16 inches.
The colors are still off in this next photo. The mermaid is from a Jill Sawyer pattern. She was created separately and then stitched to the background. I wanted her to have sort of a 3-D look, so her upper body is done in stumpwork. The lower body half has a little padding added (in the rear area only). The tail fan was in sections and pieced together with satin stitching. To create her hair I loosely stitched mohair onto a piece of tulle and then tacked it down adding her head.
The seafan is a piece of free-motion lace done on water soluble stabilizer.
So all of that was done last year. I will continue with this in another post.
12 hours ago