Monday, January 14, 2008

WIP or UFO

My first WIP (work in progress) that I decided to work on is one that I started last June. Back then I played around with the idea of making a small fabric book with the theme of mermaids. After thinking on it for a while (size, how to put pages together, etc) I decided that maybe a small wall hanging would be better (read easier). So I started going through my stash and pulled all the fabrics I thought I might use. I picked three and got started.

This is how far I got with the piece back then before laying it aside to start on something else.




















Sorry the photo is not that great. It is a little on the dark side but when I tried to lighten it, it really changed the colors. The background fabrics are all commercial hand-dyed. It measures roughly 14 x 16 inches.

The colors are still off in this next photo. The mermaid is from a Jill Sawyer pattern. She was created separately and then stitched to the background. I wanted her to have sort of a 3-D look, so her upper body is done in stumpwork. The lower body half has a little padding added (in the rear area only). The tail fan was in sections and pieced together with satin stitching. To create her hair I loosely stitched mohair onto a piece of tulle and then tacked it down adding her head.

The seafan is a piece of free-motion lace done on water soluble stabilizer.


















So all of that was done last year. I will continue with this in another post.

13 comments:

Waltraud said...

Wonderful, love the fresh colours!

Alis said...

I love her ;0)

Susan said...

Hi!
Thanks for the "translation". WIP is certainly so much more positive than UFO...there's more hope. I can't wait to see your mermaid progress.
Susan

Pamie G. said...

I love it!!!!

Ati. Norway. said...

So nice, the mermaid, can't wait to see the rest of the "seaworld" coming.

Deb H said...

SHe is beautiful! I love Mermaids, I have a small collection of them.

StegArt said...

Fabulous! I can't wait to see the finished piece. Love the colors.

Kim said...

She's lovely - her face is wonderful! I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it.

Angelcat said...

I love mermaids, can't wait to see how you develop this piece. It looks lovely already.

kay susan said...

Watching to see what happens next!

Purple Missus said...

This is fabulous Micki. I love the colours. You can be a very dark horse sometimes *LOL*

Conni said...

This is going to be wonderful!

Dianne said...

Oh Micki, I love mermaids, and yours is a beauty!!