Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Continuing the Mermaid WIP

Continuing from the previous post on the mermaid piece, for the past two weeks I have been working on and off on choosing machine embroidery designs and stitching them out onto a layer of organza and water soluble stabilizer after resizing and re-coloring them.

These are what I have done. Once again the colors are off. I have tried both scanning and taking digital shots and I just can not get a really good photo of any of these.

















Except for the longer shells in the first photo these designs are all less than 1 inch in size. The longer ones are about one and three quarters inches long.

The seahorse measures about two and half inches and looks better in real than it does here.





















The turtle was stitched onto a piece of green felt to give it more depth and color as the embroidery design was more sheer than dense in design. He is about three inches long.















I stitched another starfish and another small fish like the one above. I also stitched two larger fish, but I am not real happy with them. I have some other smaller fish that I am going to stitch and then I think that will be all of these embroidered pieces.

16 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Do I recognize some of those appliques from Embroidery Library? That's my favorite source for embroidery designs.

Joanna van said...

Just beautiful Micki!

kay susan said...

Love these little bits - I must do more with my machine! I have trouble photographing colours too, I need to take them on a very bright day and the weather has been so dull lately. If I use the flash, it completely changes all the colours so I try to avoid it.

Waltraud said...

So beautiful - this seahorse!

Carol said...

Can't wait to see the finished piece, the little seahorse is wonderful

Purple Missus said...

I love the Seahorse Micki. He will look really good with the mermaid. The colours are wonderful.

Alis said...

Lovely motifs Micki. Looking forward to seeing them all together.

Barbara said...

wonderful stiched artwork...love the seahorse!

Lise said...

Lovely work Micki! I got the embroidery unit for my Bernina for Christmas. I understand I have a lot to learn....
Lise

Nellie's Needles said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see where these will end up.

Allison Ann Aller said...

What fantastic motifs you are creating to work with!

Dianne said...

You quilt is going to be fantastic!! Love all these little sea creatures....

Susan said...

Hi!
These are beautiful...especially the turtle! What an amazing amount of work. The mermaid is going to love her new environment and all her friends.
Susan

MargaretR said...

These are lovely Micki and that little seahorse is lovely. You make me want to go and use my embroidery module.

Raggy said...

Oh Miki, these are delightful. You are soooo talented.

Pat Winter said...

Micki, If you ever want to sell a couple fish,let me know. Yours look really good.I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS PROJECT FINISHED.