Friday, November 02, 2007

Update on Felted Piece

I decided a few weeks ago I wanted to try my hand at landscapes and florals again; and having had my Janome Xpression needle felting machine since last February, I figured it was time to really put it to use.

This is the first piece I created and was done entirely using the embellisher. My inspiration for this one was a Monet piece. For some reason I wasn’t bothered with the holes and rather like the look I achieved.





















However, I wasn’t quite so happy with the one I in my last post. (remember)?




















I decided to finish felting this piece with the embellisher as you can see in the above photo. Still wasn’t crazy about all those tiny holes in this one. So I then decided to see if I plunged it into some boiling hot water and let it soak for a few minutes if by chance the holes would close up. Nope. Nothing!

Well for a bit I thought okay you screwed this one up. I could always turn it into a book/journal cover. But I was determined to see if I could salvage it and keep its’ original intention of a piece to either frame and hang or display on an easel.


So I decided to do a bit of hand embroidery. It is sometimes hard for me to decide if a piece is finished or not, but I am happier with it now.




















I have 4 more pieces that were created in between the first one and this latest one. I’ll show them another time.

22 comments:

Doreen G said...

Micki I think it look good now.

Purple Missus said...

It looks wonderful Micki - and what a difference a frame makes too. Well done for not giving up on the piece.

Susan D said...

It can be so easy just to give up so well done. Love the first piece and they look great now they're framed.

Susan said...

Hi!
Brilliant idea you had about the hot water. I would never have thought about it and it's a pity it didn't work. The stitching, however, is quite pretty and I very much like the Monet inspired piece too.
Susan

Karoda said...

Your determination to save the piece payed off well!

zquilts said...

I think it looked great before - but it's even better now.
I personally think that a felted surface is the perfect complement for quilting and embellishing. They just work so well together. Great pieces - keep having fun and posting !

Carol said...

it turned out really lovely Micki, and the frames transform the pieces don't they

Dianne said...

Looks great Micki - I think the hand embroidery gives it more of a 3D look....

Granny Fran said...

Both pieces are beautiful! It's amazing what a difference the embroidery embellishment made.

Kim said...

Both pieces are lovely. The hand embroidery complements the felting so well.

Waltraud said...

Well done - both pieces are great!

kay susan said...

Micki, these are both lovely. And that hand embroidery is just the right finishing touch! Nice work. (must plug my embellisher back in again, it hasn't been out since the workroom was put back together!)

Ati. Norway. said...

Hi, I like both pieces very much. The embroidery on the first one gives it a finished look. Love the little Monet inpression too!

The Carolina Quilter said...

Beautiful as always and with a dreamy quality that is so appealing.

sophie said...

To felt wool in water, you need hot water + soap + agitation. I think both pieces are wonderful. I just took a needlefelting class. It's big fun, isn't it?

StegArt said...

Beautiful Micki!

Gina said...

That looks beautiful framed Micki... love the hand stitching.

Sara said...

you can try this, Micki: the first thing is punching from the back. you must get a balance between the two sides, punching more from the back. The next thing I do is spraying the piece with water and ironing it quite hot so that it felts more. With these 2 systems I get no more holes.

ANDREA said...

Hi Micky, I love the two pieces, the colours are great and the hand-stitching just adds texture beautifully! They look perfect in their frame.

doni said...

Very interesting process. Love the finished projects.

Anonymous said...

I suggest you buy one of the new adapted needle heads for your machine. Janome now make one enabling you to change the needles individually. Give up on Janome needles and use the Babylock instead. They are finer and you won't get those annoying holes.
Annette

Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to say that I think the piece is delghtful - the stitching completely takes the eye away from the holes
Annette