Sunday, October 28, 2007

Work in Progress

I mentioned before that I have been working on several things.

This is the latest piece that I started a few days ago. The background is a piece of white wool. The whole piece was hand felted (measures roughly 5 by 7 inches) and, as you can imagine, this takes a long time to do as it takes a while to get the basic layout needled in. Then the whole thing has to be punched over and over to get the wool roving really needled in and my wrists were beginning to give out; so I decided to give in and put it under the embellisher. I was not happy with the look of all those tiny holes.





















As you can see in the photo, I have only done the top third. I think that all those holes ruin the effect. I tried lightly spraying with water and using my steam iron to see if I could get the holes to close, but it did not do any good.

I guess I have one of two ways to go now. One would be to finish the piece under the embellisher. The other would be to hand needle in more wool over the area I used the embellisher on and hope that I can blend it in. We shall see.

10 comments:

Doreen G said...

If the hole bother you Micki O would do like you said and put a fine layer of wool over the top area again and hand felt it.
It is a wonderful piece that you have made.

Vicki W said...

I agree with Doreen - it's beautiful!

kay susan said...

Nice piece Micki! I can see exactly what you mean about the holes. Did you run the embellisher straight up and down it like a sewing machine, the holes look very regular? Perhaps try a more random movement, like fme, to break it up?

StegArt said...

Very lovely Micki. I think I would try the random, maybe circular movements with the embellisher as kay susan suggested.

Joanna van said...

Micki, this is really lovely. Beautiful colors

Rosi said...

I really like this piece, the colors are so beautiful.
You might try to brush over the upper part with an old toothbrush. This should help to pull a bit of the fibers out and to cover the holes. I hope it will work.
(Hopefully the comment will not appear twice in the end. I posted it before but it did not appear.)

Purple Missus said...

I don't think the holes from the embellisher ruin it at all Micki, but it does look softer in the bottom half. I was going to suggest steaming it, but you say you have already done that.
Not sure that I would do circular movements, tends to distort the fabric if you overdo it.
Its a lovely piece though, are you going to finish it off with hand or machine stitching?

Dianne said...

I think it's great Micki!! The toothbrush idea sounds like a good one - will have to remember that.

Barbara said...

I think its great too! you have done fabulous work!

debby said...

one way to reduce the obviousness of the holes that are punched is to turn it over and use the embellisher on the opposite side. a bit of the foundation fabric may go through, but it seems to make the holes go away. i like the effect, especially when i've done something on white wool, it seems to soften the image somewhat. anyway its worth a try! good luck!