Friday, October 19, 2007

Lucky for Us and a Little Something

A number of storms went through my part of the country last night, but we were lucky and only one actually past through here. It really wasn’t all that bad here at my house, it could have been much worse as a number of areas close by received strong winds/near tornado strength.

I did a little playing around on the embellisher yesterday. I wanted to see if I could make circles using the thumb tack method. It worked pretty well.

This is just a piece of white craft felt I attempted to paint last year. I used several small pieces of felt and embellished from the back.

Front side.





















And back side. I trimmed the excess felt after stitching. Of course, I could have done more but I just wanted to test this to see how it would work out.






















This next piece I did two or three weeks ago. I punched some wool roving onto a piece of felt, couched some yarn and added the three circles. It is in the process of being made into a pouch.




















This last piece is one I did a couple of weeks ago also. It has fancy fabrics, yarn, ribbon yarn, cheesecloth and some fibers laid out on a piece of what I believe is polyester organza. I haven’t quite decided what to do with this as of yet.


21 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love all of them but the circles are great!

Purple Missus said...

Brilliant idea with the circles Micki.
All these pieces are great but I just love that last one on the organza. Lots of texture in there. Look forward to seeing what you use it for.

Papoosue said...

These are lovely Micki, I love the circles idea!

Jacquelines blog said...

I think you had a great time with the embellisher, looks lovely!

kay susan said...

Micki, I just never thought of using that thumbtack method on the embellisher!

Doreen G said...

They all look good Micki.
I put my embellisher away before I went on holidays and haven't taken it out again yet--must do so soon.

Carol said...

Great idea using the pin for the embellisher, I love the bottom piece such scrunchy texture

ANDREA said...

OH! I said when I saw the circles! Your pieces are real little paintings, you are good with the embellisher! (makes me want to get one right now:)
I like your colours a lot.
Beautiful!
Greetings from Paris
andrea

Dianne said...

Great pieces Micki!! The circles look fantastic - but I really love the bottom piece done with the organza.....

Waltraud said...

Great idea - the circles, but especially I like the needle punch felting piece.

Granny Fran said...

Ooh, sounds like a scary night, I'm glad you're ok.
Love the circles and the texture of the felting on organza is wonderful. Could I get anything like that effect doing hand needle felting or would it have to be done with a machine?

Annica said...

Good to hear that you're safe. I love the purple piece!

Alis said...

I love them all, just gorgeous work.
Well you know how much I love texture so the bottom one just has to be my favourite. I just want to reach out and touch it.

zquilts said...

Terrific pieces ! Love the piece that is becoming a pouch !

Susan said...

Hi!
Your experiments are food for thought. When I first got my embellisher, I naturally seemed to "work from the back". Later, I tried to deliberately "work from the front". However, upon seeing your circles, I am absolutely convinced that working from the BACK is my personal way to go. Your work is a clear vision of the possibilities and the level of craftsmanship I am aiming to achieve. Thank you ever so much for sharing because it is so very, very helpful...truly an inspiration.
Susan

Kim said...

Wonderful work (as always!) I ordered an embellisher this week.

ArtChic said...

Hi Micki these are all so lovely would love to do some atc trading with you sometime!
You've been tagged! Please see my blog for details.

Gina said...

Circles are brilliant Micki, as are all the samples... really like them.

Nikki said...

I'm feeling a little ignorant -- What is the thumbtack method? It makes wonderful circles.

Barbara said...

the last piece is my favorite!

diva of quilts said...

I love the circles, actually they're all great!