Sunday, September 09, 2007

Mermaid

I recently finished an online class at Joggles where I created a “Wrapped Mermaid”. My attempt in doing this on my own some time ago resulted in a less than desirable piece; so I took the class to learn the correct way to make a wrapped armature.

First came the wire armature:




















Then the wrapping:





















Her boobies are made of glue dots as I didn’t have any of those flat glass marbles.

She is more or less complete. I may give her something to hold later on if I come across the appropriate item.




















Sideways view:
















A close up pic. Her face is one that I made last year using polymer clay. I think her lips need a little more color.




















And the ribbon piece on the back of her head:


















She is not quite what I had in mind, but at least now I know what I like and don’t like about this type of doll making.

20 comments:

Vicki W said...

She's wonderful!!

Papoosue said...

Wow! what an interesting technique - i like her little face peeking out!

Waltraud said...

Well done, this mermaid, wonderful!

StegArt said...

Fabulous! Have you given her a name?

Carol said...

Oh I love her, its amazing

Nellie's Needles said...

What's not to like? She's a WOW!
Thanks for your visit and comment.
Cheers,
Nellie

Purple Missus said...

She's lovely Micki. That face is so realistic! Have you got plans to make any more?

MargaretR said...

She's a beaut Micki, there you go inspiring me to try something else. This is new to me.

laplandyellow said...

she is so beautiful!!

Granny Fran said...

What a lovely "Minnie the Mermaid"! Nice to see how you made the armature. Her colors are fantastic.

Conni said...

She's delightful in every way!

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Hello Micki Your Mermaid is wonderful. Very artistic. Love her. Judy

Susan said...

Hi!
I, too, have been a bit behind on some of my blog reading....so, first and foremost, thanks for your comments on my blog!

Now, about that wonderful mermaid: Gosh is she gorgeous! I've never made a doll and couldn't begin to think where one would start. Your photo documentation, however, makes sense of the process and makes viewing the results ever so much more enjoyable. I am in awe of the work involved, the choices made, and the materials used.

Also, I really like your recent bags, especially the embellished yarn. It is a relief to know that I'm not alone in ending up with distortions while punching materials into felt. What you have done with the result, however, is quite great and the distortion actually adds to the overall look of the bag.

Susan
PS Happy blog anniversary too!

Barbara said...

its a wonderful doll! But I think I also don't like making this dolls, but i like it to admire this artwork ! Gorgeous1

Jacquelines blog said...

This mermaid is sooooooo cute!!!
Lovely work Micki!

Dianne said...

I think she's great!! She certainly looks like a lovely creature from the sea.

Karen said...

what a wonderful mermaid! So great that you show us the start to finish. how large is she?

Angelcat said...

Stunning! I just love mermaids, yours is beautiful, sounds like a great class

Gunnels blog said...

she is so beautiful!

SeamRippstress said...

OH MY! She's Gorgeous. I've not ventured into armature dolls yet.