Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Mama's Got a Brand New Bag

Things haven’t been going quite as planned. I had hoped to have a few more projects done by now. As it turns out I only have completed one of them.

I started with a rectangle of felt and used the single needle attachment on the Xpressions to punch acrylic yarn in place.





















The back after that initial punching:




















I then placed the five needle unit on and continued to punch all over. This is the back afterwards:




















And the finished front:

















As you can see, after all that punching the shape is distorted from the original rectangular shape. Because of this distortion, it negated the original intention I had for it. So I decided to use it as the decorative front piece of this little denim shoulder bag. It measures 8 inches across the top, 7 inches at the bottom, 9 inches tall and 1 inch deep.


















The inside features a pocket and has a magnetic closure.














Hopefully I am now off to complete a couple more things on the list.

23 comments:

Vicki W said...

The sample and the bag turned out great!

Gina said...

I think the sample is fantastic! Like the back as much as the front but it looks great on the bag.

kay susan said...

Micki, that sample is lovely! What a great technique.

Doreen G said...

Looks good Micki and I love how the bag came together

Judy Rys said...

I love this felted piece. Both the front and back are wonderful. I like the organic shape, it really makes it stand out on the bag. Great job.

Dianne said...

Hey that's cool!! I love the design, especially the circle....

Carol said...

I love that embellished piece, gorgeous colours and texture, it looks so nice on the denim bag

Purple Missus said...

This is fantastic Micki, wonderful colours. I have never thought of taking needles out of play. It looks really good on the denim bag.

StegArt said...

Lovely bag Micki!

Alis said...

Gorgeous piece Micki and I love the bag.
Hugs, Alis

Angelcat said...

Your bag is just beautiful Micki

Deb H said...

It turned out really cute! I like things that are a litte wonky! It's more artistic!

Fran├žoise said...

This is a very lovely bag!

Papoosue said...

How lovely! I love your design on the Xpression. It makes me think of those giant shapes in the desert (not sure where?) that are only visible from the air. Cool.

Pat Winter said...

Very nice texture element. Love the colors. Very neat idea. Great job!

Cat said...

This is great, I think your felting piece had a mind of it's own and it took a wave on. I like that a lot! The bag turned out great too!

Waltraud said...

A lovely bag!

Wild Thread Studio said...

How fun and funky is this bag???? It's great!
Denise

Conni said...

Love it!!!

MargaretR said...

Wonderful Micki. When things don't go as planned, that's when exciting things like this happen.

SuZ said...

well, I don't know what your original intent was...but this little bag a awesome! good job!

Lorraine said...

What a gorgeous bag -- I am so impressed with your machine felting work -- postcards and purse piece. And you received some gorgeous birthday postcards. I really enjoyed my visit to your blog.
A fellow Kentuckian.
Lorraine

Ella said...

Great!