Thursday, July 12, 2007

UFO finished

















I have finally finished one of the dozen or so UFO’s that are laying around. I started this back in February. I completed the bottom and laid it aside. I worked on the lid off and on and I finally finished the final stitching on it last night.

I fused a piece of mottled wine fabric on the front of a piece of timtex and a piece of wine colored felt on the back side. I then sponged on Jacquard Metallic Bronze and Stewart Gill Metallica-Secret Garden.





















Next I mixed each of the two colors into some white puff paint and stamped these images on the square.




















The paint did not puff up as much as I had hoped. I then proceeded to free motion stitch the designs using Sulky metallic thread. This was a pain because the pressure foot was sort of dragging because of the rubbery paint.




















This square was then cut up into four smaller squares and I stitched around all the edges. These were then stitched to the ends and front and back of the box and then the corners of the box were stitched close.




















I did the same thing for the motif on the box lid only using a different stamp for that image.








































I intend to use this to hold all of the wonderful postcards I expect to receive when my birthday rolls around in September.

27 comments:

Purple Missus said...

Micki, this is an amazing little box. It looks wonderful and what a good idea to hold your postcards.

Doreen G said...

Beautiful Micki--nothing like being prepared.

Carol said...

the box is beautiful Micki, we will have to make sue our postcards are up to standard:)
isn't it a nice feeling finishing off those UFO's

Sue B said...

What a beautiful box Micki.

Alis said...

What a fabulous box Micki. I love the motifs. It will be such fun to use this box.

Angelcat said...

Wow this is stunning Micki!

Stitchety Grub said...

This is such an effective piece ...it's stunning :-D
Britt

Vicki W said...

Beautiful!

MargaretR said...

Beautiful work again Micki and well worth taking the time to finish it.

Joanna van said...

Beautiful box. The motif is perfect.

Joanna

Jacquelines blog said...

The box is great! I like the stamping you did with the puffpaint. Up to the next UFO?

Waltraud said...

What a wonderful idea, this box is so great!

Emmy said...

the box is fantastic

sammy said...

Mikki! Totally over the top fantastic box lady! And to think I knew you when... LOL
hugs,

Karen said...

beautiful box and a wonderful idea for its use! Just keep us posted on the birthday so we can send those postcards!

Cara said...

Fantastic!

I've tried puff paint. I can pass on the rubbery.

Amazing how different it looks with the top stitching. Maybe I'll dig mine out again.

Cat said...

This is way cool! I Love it, the motley wine fabric was a good base, and I like the medalions you stamped.

Terrific idea!

Conni said...

Beautiful box - very exotic-looking!

Susan D said...

What a beautiful box and a great place to keep all your postcards.

Susan said...

Hi!
The box looks quite regal. Very impressive. Nice motifs, good color, and a perfect place for a collection of artwork!
Susan

Deb H said...

LOL. You'd better publish your address so we can send those postcards!

Granny Fran said...

Scrumptious!!!!!

SandieK said...

Delightful, just my colours.

SeamRippstress said...

Gorgeous box Micki! You are giving me ideas for your birthday postcard!

Barbara said...

wonderful and a gorgeous idea!

Sara said...

this is great Micki! i would like to drop a postcard in it. can i have your address at saralechner@gmx.at please?

SuZ said...

wonderful box Micki!!! love the colors!