Friday, June 15, 2007

FAF June Experiments

The FAF group that I belong to has a technique to try every month. For June we are to try printing either by using lino blocks that we cut ourselves or by some other method of stamp making. I have some of the Penscore foam blocks. You heat them up and then press things into them to create your image. The image will stay in the foam until you heat it up again.

I don’t have any printing inks, so I mixed up some cheap acrylic paint with some Golden Glaze to keep the paint wet longer.

I used Yupo Watercolor paper for these samples.

Click on photo for larger image.















The one on the left I pressed some old junk earrings into the foam. Evidently I didn’t get enough paint on the block as the detail is lost on a couple of them. The one on the right I laid a bunch of straight pins that have large round heads on the table and pressed the block onto them.













For these I used a cuff link, old earrings and some buttons to create the designs. Once again, I didn’t get enough paint onto them as I only basically got the outlines of the pieces and none of the details.

So I tried again, this time using Canson Watercolor paper.






















As you can see, I got a lot more of the detail this time with the one on the lower left; however, I still did not get the details on the lower right print. I think I pressed the objects too hard into the foam and made it harder to get the paint down into the details of the pieces.

16 comments:

SuZ said...

WoW Micki! you are very creative in what you have used for making these blocks...I would never had thouht to use those items...and thanks your comments on my blog...

Alis said...

Great textures Micki. Looks like a lot of fun.

Purple Missus said...

Lots of admiration for your perseverance, you came good in the end. The bottom left hand corner one is very appealing and I must say I love that colour you have used. Is it teal?

MargaretR said...

Great Micki. I love the way you have used the pins, very original.

Waltraud said...

Great results, I´m looking forward to the final results.

Annica said...

Great prints! Very inspiring!

StegArt said...

They are great Micki! I'm especially liking the one with the straight pins. A good idea!

Granny Fran said...

Great product for making prints, where did you get it? I'd love to try that.

Susan said...

Hi!
These prints are quite fascinating. What do you plan to use them for? How are you going to incorporate the technique into your incredible fiber projects? I can't wait to hear your plans. I've very much enjoyed reading your blog and getting a peek into a creative mind.
Susan

Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

You know, I like the effects of less detail as much as the full ones. This is a very intriguing technique. Where did you find the Penscore foam blocks?

Jacquelines blog said...

I have also a foam block but never used it, know I see the possibility's!!! Great post!

Carol said...

Great results Micki, love the variety of items you used

Barbara said...

Gorgeous! And what are you doing with them? I think you know!

Conni said...

These are all so cool! I especially love the images on the lower left of the last set.

diva of quilts said...

what fun! thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

wonderful results on your June experiments! great printing!