Friday, May 04, 2007

Altered Book_work in progress

I've been working on a mixed media textile piece on and off for the past few weeks, but I can’t show it yet, so I thought I would share with you the pages I have so far in an altered book I started 2 or 3 years ago. I didn’t really have a theme for the book, but I kind of went with women.

click on images for larger pictures.

Here are pages 1 and 2:


















These ladies are transparencies. The lady in the frame on page 2 is really on page 4. I cut an opening in page 2 and 3 and glued a piece of clear acetate between the pages before adding the frame on both pages. When you turn the page from 2 to 3 then the girl on page 1 is in the frame.


Pages 3 and 4:
















Pages 5 and 6:















This is the tag that is in the pocket on page 6:




















Pages 7 and 8:















I intend to eventually add some fibers to the tags.

This is what is in the library pocket:





















Years ago I had a Kodak Disc camera, this is one of the old discs. I’ve seen a lot of altered art, but I have never seen anyone use one of these old discs in their art. Have any of you seen/used one?

Pages/tags 9 and 10:
















Actually I guess these aren’t exactly pages. As you can see I cut most of the 3 pages off and then attached one tag each to a strip.

Pages/tags 11 and 12:
















Pages/tags 13 and 14:















This is a copy of an old postcard I will use at some point.





















I have not done anything with the outside cover yet and I have a number of pages left to work with still. I really need to work on this again.

21 comments:

computerpeach said...

very pretty!!!

Gunnels blog said...

I really like your altered book! I haven´t done any, but I love to do! But I really don´t know how I am doing?

Angelcat said...

What a great book Micki. I particularly love the tag pages. I tried to start an altered book a while ago but never really got anywhere with it, I think I might just have to give it another go

corina said...

Thank you for sharing, I love the first pages!

Doreen G said...

What a breat altered book Micki I have done one on sewing starting from when I was a child throught to now and it has a lot of good memories in it.Altered books are fun.

StegArt said...

Very nice altered book, Micki! Looking forward to seeing your mixed media textile piece.

MargaretR said...

What a wonderful book Micki. I especially love your Kodak tag.

Sue B said...

terrific book Micki! That kodak tag is very cool.

diva of quilts said...

My sister had one of those disk cameras. I like what you did to your disk.

Purple Missus said...

Amazing Micki. Especially love from pages 7 onwards - my sort of thing and that kodak tag idea is brilliant. I love little pockets and hidden bits & pieces and stuff. Like the idea of using transparencies too.

Barbara said...

I love altered books !! Perhaps some day I wil do the same like you and make an altered book!

Cat said...

Great look to this book! And yes, that camera disc is totally unique! Looks like that would make a neat medalion necklace using the little disc.

Waltraud said...

Your work is very intersting - love the colours, and the old disks - are they your own?

Alis said...

This is lovely Micki. I love the images and colours you have used and the way the second half has a different feel to the first but on the same theme.
Great work.
Hugs, Alis

Sarah said...

Your book is BEAUTIFUL! Wow, 2-3 years? I'm impatient, I always want to see the end result now. I need to learn to let things simmer a little, and go back now and then to add a little more of myself each time. Very beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration!

Gerrie said...

Wow! This book is simply wonderful. I would love to hold it in my hands and look at each page in person.

Dianne said...

Just wonderful Micki. I would love to have a look through it in person. An altered book is something I would like to try...

Granny Fran said...

How fun, I love your altered photo disc.

Conni said...

Micki, this is wonderful – and an inspiration!

Jackie K said...

Brilliant idea using the Kodak disc film!! You've done a grand job with this book!!

Peggy said...

I found you blog in first time and I love you works, the book is really lovely.