Thursday, April 26, 2007

FAF April Techniques

The FAF group had decided the technique for April was to do stuff with metals, foils, and fabric. With April almost over, I still haven’t done anything new with this.

So instead, I will show a few things I have done in the past.

First up is a piece of colored metal shim that I embossed using a copyright free image. I didn’t have a particular project in mind when I did this, but I realize now that I probably should have left a little more metal around the design in order to incorporate it into a future piece.






















After I did this I realized that I embossed the design from the wrong side, as I liked the design better from the back.






















This one is a piece of copper metal shim embossed with a design from the Stef Francis kit “Indian Sunflower” which I purchased a few years ago, started on and then set it aside. I do intend to finish this piece someday.
























The copper is painted over with two different colors of glass paint. Actually looking at it again, I wish I had used several colors instead of just the two.

The next two pieces have appeared on here before. This first one is a piece I did last October using small pieces of the colored metal.























I texturized the metal and I cut back the shine by painting over it.

This last piece is one of the pieces I did for my Mixed Media Sampler Wall hanging.





















Sorry for the poor picture. This piece really looks so much better in real. This is a piece of copper shim that I embossed, heated with an igniter and then painted with the glass paint. I then stitched it to the background.

I remembered I had these beads also.


I cut strips and ran them through a paper crimper and then rolled them up.





14 comments:

Elizabet said...

oooh shiny pretty things!

Barbara said...

love the metal pieces!!

Papoosue said...

Wow - very nice. I love your 'windows' piece, it's gorgeous. That is a great way of making beads too, would never have thought of that!

sandra wyman said...

This inspires me to try this out for myself - thank you! Love it!

StegArt said...

All beautiful pieces, Micki! Where do you get the colored shim from?

Dianne said...

These are great Micki! I love the 2 embossed ones.

SeamRippstress said...

oh these are great embossed pieces. I especially love your blue green shrine - wow how gorgeous!

Sue B said...

Micki these are all fanastic! I especially like that one you painted with the two colors - very cool.

Wild Thread Studio said...

Copper shim? Oh, these pieces look fantastic. I'm going to search Dick Blick to buy some NOW!
Denise from the Artful Quilters Ring

Waltraud said...

These works with metal are very interesting- so rich in one colour.

Annica said...

Great work Micki! I love the green piece(from October). It's beautiful!

Dale Anne said...

LOVE the look of these!
Your October piece - how big is it?
ITS FABULOUS!!!
Will be saving for metal shim next.....
THANKS for the inspiration!

david santos said...

Work very good, thank you. Have a godd week

Barbara said...

I commend again because I explain AMC: AMC(artist-mailing-card) is a postcard which you can send to a person. If you want to trade we can do ? Warm regards Barbara