Sunday, March 18, 2007

Tyvek samples

Life has been happening the past couple of days so I am just now getting to post about what I spent some time doing a few days ago.

The FAF monthly challenge for March is tyvek and so the other day I painted up some small pieces.














The first two are painted with Lumiere and the other two are painted with Pebeo silk paints. I only painted the front, but the pieces that were painted with the silk paints had some paint to bleed through to the back. After they dried I got out some of my rubber stamps and played around.














I cut smaller pieces, laid them on top of a stamp, covered with parchment paper and then set my iron onto it for a few seconds. This is something you have to play around with to get a sense of how hot your iron should be (cotton setting) and how long/short to leave it on there (3 – 5 seconds). Another thing that affects the outcome is the paint. The silk painted pieces needed less time than the ones painted with the Lumiere.

Another thing is I used my regular iron which has steam holes (but no steam used) and you can see in the picture (the black arrow) the circles made from the indentations. I should have used my smaller craft iron which has a totally smooth bottom. I will do this the next time.

There are at least two different kinds of tyvek and the one I used for these pieces have sort of a textured surface. You can see this on the green and blue pieces. All of the pieces except the middle piece in the top row I laid painted side up on the stamp. That other piece when laid painted side down caused the textured tvyek to become smooth.

All of these samples have lacy little bits to them that are somewhat fragile. You have to take your time when removing them from the stamps and in some instances you will loose some little pieces from them.
I will be playing with this some more using the smooth tyvek that I have and my craft iron to see what difference I get.

17 comments:

Purple Missus said...

You got some brilliant effects there Micki. I really do like the darker green and the blue ones. Thanks for explaining the technique.

MargaretR said...

Fantastic Micki. I never saw anyone suggest this method before. I must try it as soon as I go up to my workroom.

kay susan said...

Micki, you got some really nice effects here. I think the 'dots' left by the iron enhance rather than spoil. I especially like those leaves. Have to try this!

StegArt said...

Wow I like how these turned out. Will have to give this idea a try.

Doreen G said...

Your samples are wonderful Micki-I have tried this idea before and if you gently rub some gold over the raised parts of the tyvek it really enhances them.

SuZ said...

WoW ! these tyvek samples are great!

Dianne said...

I LOVE these samples Micki! I think the dots from the iron actually look great.

Conni said...

Nice effects!

Sue B said...

Micki these are fantastic!

Annica said...

Great Samples! And great idea! I love that lacy effect you achieved. Thanks for sharing how you made them.

SeamRippstress said...

Wonderful Micki - thanks for instructions on the tyvek challenge - just what i was looking for :)

Luci F said...

What a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing it. I like the iron dots too. I'm inspired to try it!
Luci F

Gunnels blog said...

Your tyvek samplers are wonderful! I have try tyvek, but I didn´t like it at all. I have to test again I think.........

Deb H said...

I particularly love the green leafy one in the lower left. Very neat effects.

I've used Lumier paint on Tyvek & heated with an iron, I love the leathery texture it became.

Sara said...

i like very much the ones with the holes on them. this was a real serendipity!

Nicky said...

Wow! I am so impressed! These are fantastic. Love the lacy effect. Brilliant technique. Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to seeing more developments soon...

sam21ski said...

WOW stunning results, great descriptive - Thanks for sharing xxx