Saturday, February 10, 2007

This Past Week and...

It has been really cold this past week. I finished up two postcards and an ATC earlier in the week, but didn’t get to the post office until Thursday. I will post pictures after I know they have reached their destination. On Tuesday I painted some cheesecloth and let them soak over night in their containers. I spread them out Wednesday to let them dry. Thursday night I worked on my ATC for TAST but it is not quite finished.

And Friday…I bought the Janome Xpression Needle Punch Felting Machine. I have been debating on this for quite some time; in fact I almost got one for Christmas but had decided to wait. I have been oohing and aahing the work of many people and decided I was just going to go ahead and take the plunge.


I “played” around with it just a little while and made a couple of samples.
















The background or base is a piece of felt. The red strips are pieces of felt also that I “punched” into the background. I then played with the orange and gold bulky yarn to see how it reacted to different amounts of felting. It is about 5 x 7 inches.

I think I will place it in my Fiber Art Friends journal and count it as one of my experiments for February’s technique of “creating texture”.

Here is the second piece:





















The base is felt once again. I then added a piece of painted dryer sheet. Next I added a square of purple and silver cotton lame` and a strip of dark purple tulle. In the center is a short length of bulky yarn. This will probably go into my journal also. It is smaller than an ATC.

14 comments:

Sue B said...

These are terrific!

Doreen G said...

Lucky you Micki there will be no stopping you now.

Dianne said...

Great pieces Micki. I especially love the purple one!!

Vicki W said...

You off on a great start - there are very cool!

StegArt said...

How exciting, a new toy. Your first tries at it are wonderful...can't wait to see more.

Joanna van said...

This is great Micki...glad you decided to take the plunge!

Micki said...

Thank you Vicki.

Debra Spincic said...

Looks like this machine is getting to be pretty popular & a good choice for the kind of artwork you do too. You will have so much fun!

Gerrie said...

This looks like fun. I look forward to seeing your creations with it.

MargaretR said...

I'm so pleased you got your embell;isher and you seem to have done wonderful things already. Great work.

Fran├žoise said...

Welcome to the club!
Your first samples are lovely.

Kim said...

Lovely samples. (I'm still being tempted to join the embellisher crowd - I wonder how long I can hold out?!?!)

Granny Fran said...

I like that purple one. Deb (Cold Feet Quilter) in Alaska just got an embellisher and is experimenting with it. You can compare notes.

SeamRippstress said...

Lovely! What fun, I just assembled my needlefelting foot today and may now never leave the house! Painted dryer sheets...yes!