Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Postcard for a Friend

Now that I know that she has received it, I can show you the postcard I made for my friend Margaret (Digital Gran) who is a member of FAF with me.








click on pic for larger image





It is hard to get a good scan of a piece when it has a lot of colors/texture that blends like this. I chose these colors because I knew she liked them and uses them a lot in her art. It is hard to read Happy Birthday, but I didn't want it to stand out from the background.

I can also count this as an example of one way to add texture to a piece of your work. February’s challenge for FAF is creating surface texture using different materials. I used rayon thread snippets, metallic threads and small fabric bits fused together and free motion stitched. Some gold foil was added and tulle was placed over the top; I used the built-in feather stitch on the machine to stitch the edge and then free motion stitched over the rest. Happy Birthday was stitched using the embroidery unit.

8 comments:

Doreen G said...

That looks great Micki especially when you enlarge it to see the texture and writing.

Elizabeth said...

Great work! And I agree with Doreen that enlarged view is perfect for this piece.

Helen in the UK said...

Love the way the Happy Birthday is so subtle within the design :)

Vicki w said...

This is a really nice card - I love all of the texture and the subtle color changes. It's shows up very well in the enlarged photo.

StegArt said...

A lovely card Micki, and the textures are perfect. I'm sure Mags is thrilled with it.

Dianne said...

Oh, I seen this on Mag's blog - it's just gorgeous!! Love the colour and the textures on the background look fantastic.

MargaretR said...

Mags is thrilled with it and it really is a beauty.

Sara said...

this is wonderful! i love the texture!