Sunday, February 25, 2007

February’s Technique for FAF

The Fiber Art Friends are doing a different technique each month this year. For February we are creating surface texture using different materials. So far the only thing I’ve done with this is stitching with embroidery threads to create texture. I turned it into an ATC and swapped with Doreen.






















I do have some examples I have done in the past to create surface texture. Some of you may remember seeing these from a post I did last year. For those of you who haven’t, these are a few samples from a wall quilt I put together showing 20 different techniques to use in your quilt art.




















I stamped images onto light colored fabric using Xpandaprint then heated with the heat gun. I painted the raised images with acrylic and dry brushed with metallic bronze paint. I machine stitched the lighter piece to the darker background fabric. I added hand stitching using metallic threads.























I wrapped a wire frame with Grilon thread wrapping in both directions; covered with chiffon and laid various scraps of fibers, lame, bulky yarns, threads, etc on top. I covered with a piece of tulle and free-motion stitched all over. I then cut it from the frame and plunged into very hot water to shrink the Grilon threads causing the piece to draw up. I then stitched it to a felt base.






















Multicolored piece: covered Bondaweb with metallic threads and Angelina fibers; covered with second piece of Bondaweb and fused together. I then laid it on a piece of Solvy and free motion stitched all over. Next I lightly foiled over the entire piece, rinsed away Solvy and let dry. I heated it with the heat gun to melt away most of the Bondaweb to create a lacy effect. I stitched to black felt and then stitched to a piece of wine felt.





















Green and Gold piece: I used wadded plastic wrap to apply 3 shades of green onto plain muslin and let dry. I applied a thick layer of Mod Podge for fabric over the paint, let it set for 20 – 25 minutes then imprinted the swirl design and let dry over night; gold foil was then applied.





Green paper piece: This is another piece using painted brown paper which I crumpled up after it was dry. I fused a layer to wonder under; then fused a second crumpled up piece on top of it. I applied some gold rub n’ buff and added the copper wire and beads.




Red piece: I stitched some lace to a background of muslin, dabbed on Xpandaprint and used heat gun to puff up paint. I couched down some cording on top of lace, painted with acrylic paint and let dry. I then dry brushed with metallic gold and added a bead made from tyvek wrapped with wire and beads. I am not sure what caused those lighter spots in the picture, but the actual piece is darker all over.

You can read about the wall hanging with all of the samples by going here.


This tree trunk was created by brushing Xpandaprint onto a plain fabric and then heated with the heat gun. It was painted with a couple of shades of brown and touches of gold added for highlights. It was then cut out and used in one of my art pieces from an online class. Here it is shown laying on a piece of felt.






















This last piece is an experiment gone wrong. I can’t remember exactly what it was that I was trying for but this is what I did. I started with a piece of heavy denim and painted the outer edges (about an inch in) with gesso and then sprinkled on some sea salt. In the center I spread down some heavy gel medium. When it was dry I painted it using acrylic paints. I had no idea what I was doing and the colors did not blend like I wanted. At the same time I took a piece of saran wrap and dropped paint onto it and then wadded it up to mix and spread the colors. I opened the wrap and left it to dry. Once it was dry I wadded the wrap up again and heated it with the heat gun, manipulating it to sort of a flower shape. I then tacked it to the base piece. It is ugly but it gives you an idea of using things other than fabric to create texture in your work.



17 comments:

Doreen G said...

Hi Micki
what an interesting lot of samples---I have done some of these also and I love what you have achieved.
I don't know what to make of the last one though.
Also thanks for that wonderful Atc.

Purple Missus said...

You have inspired me Micki to give some of these techniques a try. A very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.The Grilon thread sample and the green paper piece are my favourites and of course the ATC.

kay susan said...

That ATC is a lovely little piece Micki and thank you for an very interesting post, I'll be coming back to it again, I am sure.

Sue B said...

All great stuff Micki!

Carol said...

absolutley fabulous, love them all but the Grillon thread, and bondaweb are my favourites, now I need Grillon thread.

Alis said...

Great experiments and great inspiration - thank you.
Hugs, Alis

StegArt said...

Wow! Lots of things to look at and ponder. My favorite is the green with gold swirls. Thanks for sharing all these examples.

Vicki W said...

Wow - that's a lot of cool stuff to take in all at once!

Joanna van said...

Wow Micki, you've been busy. Lot's of interesting techniques thanks for sharing.

SeamRippstress said...

Micki WOW! Ok I wish you'd teach a class at QuiltU on these techniques! My fav is your red piece and I also your "gone wrong" last shiny/denim sculpture. We saw similar techniques in our Museum of Modern art yesterday!

Helen in the UK said...

WOW - so many great samples :)

Dianne said...

Hey, great samples Micki! LOVE the one with the Grilon thread, and the red/gold piece. Your ATC is gorgeous!!

MargaretR said...

Micki, you make me feel ashamed. all these samples are so very inspiring. I need to have a go at doing some.

Cat said...

Oh! We are having fun now! All these great techniques! I might have to get out of my box one day and try something new.

Smiles, Cat

SuZ said...

these are super examples...isn't it so much fun to play ???!!!...you have a great blog....

Gunnels blog said...

Very intresting post, I will came back and read more. It´s so fun to do that experiment!
thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog

molly jean said...

Lots of beautiful examples here. I especially like the green and gold one!