Monday, January 15, 2007

Working with Paper.....

Over the weekend I did some experimenting with paper and paper castings for the FAF monthly challenge. Let’s just say that it didn’t go well.

First I tried making paper using purchased cotton linters. Of course, I didn’t follow directions and went my own (failed) way. I tinted five containers of water with Dye-na-flo and then added a handful of the cotton linters to each. I let it soak for 24 hours thinking I would get a nice pulp to work with. Wrong! I just had a big lump of cottage cheese. So I went to the kitchen and got out the blender (which hasn’t been used in years) and dumped one of the containers in, added a little more water and pushed the button. All it did was throw the small amount of pulp up onto the sides. I did not wish to make a large amount of each color and I did not want to keep stopping and pushing the pulp down from the sides to the bottom of the blender, so I just said forget it and dumped it all in the garbage. So lesson learned, start with undyed linters, use an adequate amount and mix in blender like I should have in the first place (which I did not do at this time).

Next experiment I decided would be to try working with the dissolvable water-soluble stabilizer per Maggie Grey in the latest issue of CPS pg 42 to make castings. Okay, before I ever started this I was thinking “water-soluble paper dissolves when you add water”, but I went ahead. Just as I suspected when I started adding little amounts of water to the paper it dissolved, completely. No paper casts. The castings are something that I am very much intrigued with and would like to be able to make some. Any of you ladies who have done this and been successful care to share the secret?

Since I had the rubber stamps out, I considered one more thing to try. I remember reading somewhere about using toilet paper to make castings. So I gathered up the TP and even some cheapo paper toweling and plunged ahead. I laid the paper over the stamps and used a stencil brush with water to push the paper into the stamps. I left them to dry (about an hour or so).
















I did end up with embossed papers, but they are not anything like what I wanted. They still look like TP and paper toweling. I haven’t tried to paint them as I am sure they will just flatten with each stroke of the brush.














Talk about a bummer. I may get the blender back out and give it a try again. Hopefully I will get better results. But now I am off to try another technique or two.

12 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Micki, there must be something in the air, my papermaking went haywire today.

Joanna van said...

It's really great to hear about your failures as well as successes. This paper and fabric challenge is just that! I know what you mean..I've been having failures as well.

Doreen G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doreen G said...

Hi Micki
I have done paper casting and I will need to find the samples and instructions and get back to you about it

StegArt said...

What a coincidence...I am trying out Maggie Grey's paper casting technique this evening. I've already put the water soluble paper into the stamps, they are now drying. I won't get to see them now till morning....watch my blog for results.

Doreen G said...

Hi again Micki
Have found the samples.Firstly the cotton linters-did you tear the linters up into small pieces I can't remember where we got our instructions-(18 months ago)but that was what it said to do-we then soaked them like you did then strained the pulp and then gently sqeezed small handfuls of the mixture and pushed it into the molds--it took more than 24 hours to dry.
Maggie Grey's technique worked well but we left it in one piece we did not tear it up.We used her instructions from her CD rom book .
The last one where you used toilet paper--I used good quality facial tissues.First I placed half a tissue onto the stamp then lightly squirted it with water and poked it into the stamp with a stipple brush--I kept doing this layer by layer squirting and poking until I had maybe 5 or six layers.
After they were dry I then painted them with inks and when they were dry rubbed them with a product like Treasure gold.
I hope this is helpful

Dianne said...

Hey, I think your paper castings look great! Have you coloured them yet, and added the gold highlights (like Doreen said)? That will make a huge difference.

Helen in the UK said...

Interesting to hear about your experiments on this as it's something I've not tried

Sue B said...

I've done the maggie grey water soluble paper casting. I tore the paper up into about 1" pieces and then placed some of them on the stamp and dabbed with a wet paintbrush until they started to "melt", then added more and dabbed again. I continued doing this until I had built up a nice layer. The trick is to use not too much water or the paper dissapears.

Purple Missus said...

The TP & Paper Towel ones don't look too bad at all. Like the others say rub 'Treasure Gold' on and they'll look great. (Tip from one who uses 'TG' all the time). Let us know how you get on with your other techniques.

Kim said...

Designer TP! I think your samples are great.

Cat said...

laughing - I love your embossed TP!

You sound a lot like me - I'd sooner muddle thru something to do it MY way than to follow instructions! I cook the same way too - not a good thing.