Tuesday, January 30, 2007

TAST and FAF

I can’t believe that January is almost over. I’m a little late with this, but here is my try for the Take a Stitch Tuesday challenge from last week which featured the cretan stitch. Once again this is an ATC.
























If you don’t know what the cretan stitch looks like (which I didn’t) it is the green stitching running down through the center. I added the detached chain flowers along with french knots and cross stitches as well as the blanket stitch edging.

As I mentioned in earlier posts the FiberArtFriends group (see link in sidebar) is trying a different technique each month. For January it was combining paper and fabric. I never really got around to actually doing this at this time, so I am going to cheat a little and count this sample I did a couple of years ago. I made it using a piece of brown paper towel. I painted the paper with moroccan red acrylic paint, let it dry and then crumpled it up, smoothed it out and fused it to a piece of felt. I then used rub‘n buff to add the gold highlights. The motif was stitched separately on another piece of felt and then stitched onto the paper. I used gold rayon embroidery thread in the center and copper metallic thread to attach it.



It measures 3 1/2 inches by 5 ¾ inches. Not quite postcard size. :)

23 comments:

Angelcat said...

These are great Micki. I especially like the TAST ATC. Great colours a reminder that spring is just round the corner.

StegArt said...

Your stitched ATC is lovely, I've always been a fan of purple and green together. And your paper/fabric piece is stunning. Thanks for sharing it and the technique.

Vicki said...

Micki, I like both of these. The ATC with the cretin stitch is very pretty. Love the colors.

Joanna van said...

lovely stitching Micki!

kay susan said...

Two really nice pieces Micki

Sue B said...

Love that stitched ATC, beautiful!

Carol said...

The ATC is so pretty, but the paper ansd fabric sample is WOW, love it, the colour and texture are great

Deb Geyer said...

They are both lovely, Micki!

Scrapmaker said...

Looks neat, you are inspiring me to try something with paper. Jen

Doreen G said...

The ATC is soooo beautiful and your stitching is fantastic

Micki said...

Thank you Angelcat, Vicki, Joanna and Kay Susan for your lovely comments.

The Lone Beader said...

That's an ATC?? I love it! Do you sell your fabric ATCs??

Sarah said...

I really like your FAF challenge piece! And love your TAST stitching, very nice!

Debra Spincic said...

TAST now has a webring. Stop by my blog for the Join button. Great idea to use your stitches on ATCs--very nice work!

Dianne said...

Wonderful ATC Micki - great stitching!! I really like the paper sample too.

Kim said...

Nice work Micki. Love the paper towel piece!

Conni said...

Love both pieces!

Micki said...

Thank you, Sarah.

Susan C. said...

These are really pretty.

Purple Missus said...

Didn't realise you were doing ATC samples for TAST. I admire you for being able to work so small and neatly. I don't think neat is in my vocabulary - which is why I always work freeform :)
Love the paper piece. Even though its a couple of years old, it still looks current. And I do love blogs where the procedure is explained.

Cat said...

You know it would be really neat to have a collection of ATC's just with the different stitches on them. I like that.

Great green color!

diva of quilts said...

How pretty! I just love hand-embroidery. The paper one is neat too.

Emmy said...

2 wonderful pieces I love your ATC,s