Sunday, January 21, 2007

More Paper Castings...

I experimented some more with the paper castings. This time I was able to actually wind up with some. They are not quite what I wanted, but at least I have a better sense of how to go about making them. I discovered that in my previous experiments I was evidently using the wrong product, but thanks to Doreen I was able to determine exactly what I should have used in the first place.

Anyway, these are what I came up with:















The two top castings are the ones from before made with TP and/or paper towels. The four on the bottom row are my latest effort. I brushed the top two with acrylic paint just to see if the design would collapse or not. They held up quite well, however, if I had made the paint thinner the designs would have flattened out.

I tinted the four on the bottom with Adirondack Color Wash while they were still on the stamps but the color did not seep through to the front like I expected it to except for the last (darker) one. I did a color wash after they were dry. I am leaving as is for the time being.


I also fused a piece of white tissue paper to a piece of pellon. I painted it using an acrylic, a neopaque and the Adirondack color wash. When it dried I added the splotches of gold.




















I also used some watered down acrylic to paint a dryer sheet. I just tossed it on the tissue piece to take the photo below.

17 comments:

Dianne said...

Your paper casts have turned out really well. Plus love the colours you used on the dryer sheet and the tissue papers.

StegArt said...

Yay! Success! Everything looks awesome. I especially am drawn to the green tissue/pellon piece. Very beautiful.

Fran├žoise said...

These are great Micki. What kind of stamps did you use?

Fran├žoise said...

Ok, I just saw the stamps on an older post!
:-)

Sue B said...

It all looks great Micki. I really like that pellon/tissue paper piece.

Purple Missus said...

Glad you stuck with the paper casting Micki, they turned out well second time around. Love the colours on the tissue paper piece.

Carol said...

Micki,
These have turned out great, the castings are wonderful, and love the tissue on Pellon

Vicki said...

It was worth the headache - your casting turned out great. The painted sheets are very cool too!

Kim said...

Everything turned out great. I guess we just need to push through and see what happens! Love the painted sheet!

The Carolina Quilter said...

Wow! Cool! I love the color and the technique sounds like a great way to experiment with color and saturation!

Doreen G said...

Micki they look great -try rubbing a little bit of Treasue gold or Rub n buff or goldfinger very lightly over one half and leave the other half just to see what it looks like-you will be amazed at the difference.
I love the bottom sample of dryer sheet and tissue paper.
I discovered by accident that baby wipes dye well also.
I use them to clean my stamps after I have stamped with them and discovered this wonderful coloured sheet when I looked in the bin the next day.

Conni said...

Love all of your experiments!

Granny Fran said...

Some great experiments and they are quite beautiful. I really like the paper castings.

Rian said...

Very nice. All of 'em.

Rian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
windyangel said...

Love the paper castings. I'm curious what ill you use the dryer sheet and tissue paper for. I painted some dryer sheets to and then fused to my journal quilt, as yet unfinished. I was disappointed that they lost much of their texture.
All very nice - more inspiration.

Karoda said...

omg, these are neat! just looking at them makes me want to go play myself with something! :) But I'm heading to bed...you keep playing because its looking good!