Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Journal for FAF








6 x 9 inches












I finally finished my journal for keeping notes in this year as I work on the monthly techniques I will be doing along with the “FiberArtFriends” group.

The colors here are fairly true to life.

I am pleased with the way it turned out. I did, however, discover something while making this. You can not felt lutradur. A few months ago I tried coloring the lutradur with some inks. It didn’t turn out as well I as had hoped so I laid it aside. When I started this journal cover I thought perhaps I would use the lutradur on it. I laid it over a piece of felt and then I laid various wool fibers over that and started needle felting by hand. I discovered that the lutradur wouldn’t attach to the felt piece (duh), but the wool fibers held it in place long enough until I could get it stitched. The lutradur did, however, help keep the purple wool fibers from disappearing into the felt. Next I laid a piece of tulle over the fibers and couched some yarn around the edge and then free motion stitched all over.

The “button” closure is actually an old earring that I had gotten in a big bag of junk jewelry I picked up at the flea market some time back for one dollar.






The “medallion” on the front is a sample I made a few years ago. It just so happened that the colors were a match to the cover.

18 comments:

Kim said...

Very Cool Micki! The colors are wonderful.

Purple Missus said...

Micki this is beautiful. I love the colours. Well done.

Sue B said...

It's beautiful Micki! I have a piece of painted lutrador that's been sitting on my table for a few weeks now. You've inspired me to pull it out and use it.

Helen in the UK said...

This is gorgeous with such delicious colours and textures :)

Carol said...

Absolutely wonderful Micki, stunning colours,

Joanna van said...

Really lovely colors..interesting how you used lutradur and love the rich textures.

Scrapmaker said...

I love the rich texture and color. Thanks for sharing your techniques and tips on process. Jen

Deb Geyer said...

I love it, Micki!

Susan said...

Your journal is beautiful. Probably encouraging you to write, since it's so pretty you want to touch it. =)

SeamRippstress said...

Beautiful Micki! I've been wanting to try lutradur. Thanks for sharing your process and for the felt/lutradur warning!

Cat said...

This is really great. I must admit your over my head though. I need to research about "felting".

Love the color combo!

Nina In Norway said...

It is lovely. I adore those colours.

Conni said...

Beautiful colors and textures!

Granny Fran said...

Oh, scrumptious! It is so rich and elegant. I hate to admit my ignorance but what is latrudor?

Susan C. said...

Very pretty.

kathy said...

this is beautiful...

Dianne said...

How did I miss this!! I sooo love it. The colours and textures are fantastic!!

sammy said...

LOve your journal... there is so mluch texture and energy in this! I have just started playing with felting and love it... You sure do give me a lot of inspiration!