Thursday, August 31, 2006

The End of August and My Matisse

It is hard to believe that yet another month has come and gone. Where does the time go? And even though the official start of fall is not for several more weeks, we are starting to see signs of it here and even the weather is cooler and less humid.

I have finished my piece from lesson 2 from my online class at QU. Lesson 2 is about the structure of an art piece. One of the examples used is a piece by Henri Matisse - “A Woman Sitting by the Window”. We were shown how to break down the art piece by the basic format or layout and then how to define the objects or subject in it. From there we went on to make our drawing and create our fabric piece.

Here is the Matisse piece we started with:

And this is my rendition:

My Matisse measures
8.5" x 11"

The hardest thing for me was finding fabrics to use. You would think that for someone with as much fabric as I have that that wouldn’t be a problem, but it was. LOL! This is fused to a piece of muslin. I don’t know if I will do anything more to it or not right now.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

August Journal Quilt Reveal--part 2

***Scroll down to read Part 1 first***

Continuing where blogger cut me off.......

I tried several arrangements, but none of them where exactly what I needed, so I did some cutting and pasting and manipulation and then I printed them onto cotton fabric using my new Epson printer and Durabrite inks.

Lesson 1 focused on shapes and had us first create a drawing of a still life which we then converted into fabric. Before cutting out the individual flowers I fused them to wonder under. The vase pieces used Steam a Seam 2 which is okay but you don’t always get the crisp edges with it like you do with the wonder under.

After arranging everything I then fused it down to the background. The top half is of course the fabric I painted and the bottom is a piece of commercial fabric. Queen Anne’s Lace doesn’t have much in the way of leaves so I chose not to depict them. I used a fabric marker to create the stems.

It is hard to tell from the picture but I quilted around the flower on the table and also quilted slanted lines on the table top. I did a satin stitch on the edge of the vase. The flowers are only fused down. I thought about stitching them with monofilament thread, but because they are such a lacey flower I was afraid that would ruin the effect. I can’t decide whether or not to echo quilt around them like the one on the table.

I forgot to mention that the quilt itself has seven layers (counting the three layers of wonder under used to fuse everything together. There is a layer of very thin cotton batting and a piece of Pellon pelmet #70 in there for stiffness. For some reason I had more trouble with making the binding than I should have. I think it was because the painted fabric is stiffer and it made it harder to work with. I also got in a hurry and put the top and bottom binding pieces on first instead of last.

Can someone tell me if there is a better/nicer looking way to do the corners when doing 4-piece binding? I have no problem doing mitered corners on quilts, but on these smaller pieces, especially this one because of the thickness of everything I had a horrible time making them look half way decent.

August Journal Quilt Reveal--part 1

I have completed my August journal quilt. (*note – again this is not associated with the Houston journals). This time I am killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. You may remember that I mentioned in my last post that I was getting ready to start an online class at QU. Well it just so happened that Lesson 1 pretty much was consistent with the way I did my July journal piece, so not only did I complete the lesson, but I created my August journal quilt as well. For those of you who don’t know, I have mostly been doing nature as the theme for these. For August I chose Queen Anne’s Lace as the subject.

DH was kind enough to go out into our neighbors’ field and cut some of these flowers for me. I arranged them in a jar and took a few photos, but these flowers tend to wilt fairly fast even in water and some of them where getting pretty droopy by the time I finished as you can see in the photo.

I then decided to do something Allison Aller does a lot of the time and that is I cut the flower heads off and placed them on the scanner bed, covered them with the blue fabric I painted that day I spent with Karoda and scanned them into the computer.

Blogger isn't letting me post any more photos, so I am going to try to put the rest in another post.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My Blog Anniversary

It’s hard to believe but it was a year ago tomorrow that I decided to take the plunge and start my own blog. I was really apprehensive about doing it. I sort of thought that I would need to post everyday or two at least, which is sort of intimidating to someone like me who isn’t exactly a “Chatty Cathy” type person.

I am happy that I went through with it. I soon found my own “style” of blogging. The internet has made it possible for me to “meet” some wonderful people and make some cybernet friends. And as you all know, it has provided a way for us to show our work and share our thoughts.

I’ve been playing around with a few things off and on the past few weeks. There’s nothing worth sharing, at least not at this point anyway. I am getting ready to start a class online at Quilt University…Art for Quilters by Marilyn Belford. It runs for 4 weeks. Since I don’t have any formal background in art, I thought this class might be interesting for me to take.

Not to leave you empty handed, so to speak, I thought I would share this quilt with you.

I made it in 2003 and is titled “Looking the Bull Square in the Eye”.

click to enlarge

It measures 34 1/4 inches square. The quilting doesn’t show up in the first picture, but you can see it in the second one.

click to enlarge