I wasn’t sure how I was going to do this one when I first started thinking about it. I drew up my pattern and played around some with it. I debated between having three smaller flowers or one larger flower. As you can see I decided on having just the one larger Iris.
I think this qualifies as trapunto. That is what I was going for. I have never really tried trapunto before and I thought, okay this will be my new technique that I learn from this piece. I used a piece of polyester batting, stitched the Iris and leaves on, then cut the excess batting away. Then I added a piece of thin cotton batting and continued as usual.
I had no idea how I was going to quilt the background when I started. When it came time to quilt I couldn’t see me trying to do any stipple quilting in the small spaces between the flower petals or the leaves, so I decided to do the garnet stitch. Once I started, I wasn’t really all that happy with it but there was no going back at that point. When I got up to the flower petals, I knew I had to do something else. All those little circles were making me crossed eyed. LOL!
It is hard to tell in this picture, but the Iris and leaves really do stand out from the background.
The border was first fused on and then I stitched near the edge. The back is a piece of the same fabric I used for the border.
I am not totally pleased with this, but I am not displeased either. Any comments as to what I could have done to improve on this are welcome. I didn’t even name this one.
Here are a few pictures of some of the Irises that are/where in full bloom just a couple of weeks ago.
This is a close up of my Clematis on its small trellis.
My husband loves these little guys.