It is time for the February journal page reveals. You will be able to see all of the new journal pages over the next several days by going here.
I have chosen an Asian theme for the February journal page. I am thinking that I will stay with the Asian theme (since I have a lot of those fabrics) for the entire time but I really haven’t committed to this one way or the other.
I chose to do a simple kimono image.
(click on images to enlarge)
I drew a template and then found just the right place in my fabric from which to cut it from, focusing on the butterfly. After cutting out the kimono, I then went looking through my stash for a fabric to use for the kimono background. I debated between a white on white background and the black that I ended up using. The white on white was sort of okay, but when I chose the printed fabric to use for the frame, I decided the black looked better.
I fused the kimono to the black and then I fused the black to the printed fabric. I decided to cut the print larger than the finished size so that I could wrap it around to the back and use as the border for the back side. At this point I really hadn’t planned to do much to the back side, so I chose a piece of the white on white and thought I would just fuse my label to it.
Well after I did this, wouldn’t you know I decided to be a little more creative with the back. I found a poem about the butterfly and wrote out the wording for my label. Working in Paint Shop Pro, I added the butterflies and combined everything into the label. I had jumped ahead and had fused the back together and discovered I wasn’t that happy with using the white on white after all. I liked the print from the front showing on the back so I didn’t want to just fuse another fabric over the white. I really didn’t want to print my label on a piece of fabric either (because that would mean using the Bubble Jet Set, etc. etc.) I had a piece of beige vellum and decided to use it. After printing onto the vellum I fused Wonder Under to it and then fused this onto the back. Now, the back did not have that white glaring out at me. I like how it blended more with the print fabric. I just wish I had thought of this before I had fused the print fabric onto the back, then the edges of the vellum would have been underneath the print instead of on top of it.
The picture is a little fuzzy. I tried to sharpen the image but I just couldn’t get it any better than this.
I added the fan charm before fusing the front to a piece of pelmet vilene. The bamboo was created later using a stencil. I taped the stencil to the front and then applied a thin layer of Xpandaprint. Once the design was filled in, I removed the stencil and then used my heat gun to puff up the Xpandaprint. I then applied gold acrylic paint to the design.
I’m not sure that this piece really qualifies as a journal “quilt” as there isn’t any quilting on it. And I still have no idea as to what I will do with all of these pages. I like the idea of a fabric journal, but since January’s page has no relation to February, I know I would just leave January out. Also, I am still looking through my books and magazines and trying to figure out if I will be able to incorporate February into the journal or not as the style I am considering would not let you see the back of this page.