Sunday, December 10, 2006

She's Done!

I finally finished the second postcard late last night.







I didn’t get too elaborate on either one of these. I mentioned in the other post that the images I printed on silk didn’t come out as brilliant as I had hoped and you can really tell that with this one. I guess I am going to have to figure out how to do that with this newer printer.

Yes, I hand stitched the edge on this one also, even though I complained about doing it on the first one. I used cardstock on the back of this one also. Even though I fused it I didn’t want to machine stitch through it and have all of those perforations.

I had the biggest part of yesterday to myself and finally got to work on some machine embroidered items that I had wanted to do a couple of weeks ago. It has been quite some time since I had embroidered anything and I can not believe how long it took to do them. Part of the time was spent gathering the designs I wanted to use and then resizing them in the software and then downloading to the memory card and printing templates (which turned out I didn’t really need for these). I then had to decide what stabilizer to use and wind some bobbins with thread.

Once I got started stitching on the first one, I thought I would only be a couple of hours more. WRONG! During the stitching of the first design which I stabilized with a piece of organza and solvy, the thread broke 3 different times which really is not that big of a deal.

When I got ready to stitch the second one, I decided to try using a double layer of solvy and no organza. The machine stitched for a bit and then the thread broke. I fixed it; continued stitching for a minute or two and the thread broke again. I fixed it again and continued stitching for a minute and….you guessed it, it broke again. This went on for about ten more minutes and after I decided it wasn’t the thread or the needle or the tension I just needed to start over and use the organza. So I changed stabilizers and the second piece stitched with only a few thread breakage problems. The third piece stitched out with only a few breakages as well.

It was approximately 9:30 a.m. when I started gathering the designs, etc. and it was approximately 9:30 p.m. when I finished! Without problems of any kind, each design would have taken anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour to stitch out. That should have been 4 hours top. What happened during the other 8 hours? I know that one and a half to two hours was spent having lunch and dinner, but that still leaves approximately 6 hours. I can’t even begin to count how many times I stopped the machine to go do something else for a few minutes here and there, but apparently it adds up to 6 hours!

I guess you are wondering by now what it was that I spent so much time on yesterday. Well you are going to have to wait. Blogger is not letting me upload anything else and I have tried several times. Arrrgh!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Micki, I hope things are better today!

Kay said...

I feel your pain on the breaking thread, believe me! Result looks good though, and the recipients will be happy, I'm sure.