Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Van Goghs Olive Trees

You have probably noticed that lately I have kind of been jumping around from one art media to another. I find myself in that state of mind where I have so many things that I want to try or do but can’t quite seem to decide which one to pursue. I hate it when I get this way. I wish I could just decide on one or two things and concentrate on improving my skills in those areas.

Looking now at my last post, that little piece seems kind of pathetic really. A child could have done better. But then again I was just playing around with a new technique and some new supplies.

As an example of what I am talking about, I wanted to see if I could do a small (thread painted) landscape. I was looking through my ever growing collection of images and decided to use this piece as my starting point.

Vincent Van Gogh-The Olive Trees-1889



















Not having any formal background in Art, I did not realize until recently that the great painters often painted the same piece numerous times, changing the colors with each painting. So this is one version. I really have no idea how many color ways there are of this particular piece.

This is my attempt that I recently finished:

















*click on images to see a larger version*

This piece is not actually matted as of yet. I added the mat through Paint Shop Pro. I am still actually trying to decide how to mount it.

I wish that I had kept track of how long it took me to do this. I worked on it sporadically for 2 or 3 days. It is printed on silk with a piece of muslin acting as a stabilizer. I used rayon machine embroidery threads. The embroidered area measures 5” x 7”.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I really like your take on Van Gogh's painting!! Very nice work:)

StegArt said...

This turned out beautifully. I'm betting it looks even better in person...I find textiles very difficult to scan and photograph.

MargaretR said...

Beautiful work Micki. I like the idea of stitching the same design in different colours. I often change the colours of my digital art, which I hope to stitch one day and I would like to do what you are doing with those.

Sande said...

Your 'Van Gogh' looks great!

emmyschoonbeek said...

it is so beautiful great job

Kim said...

Looks great Micki.

Kay said...

This is beautiful, and very impressive! Besides the skill, and artistic ability, thread painting INMHO takes lots of patience.

Conni said...

lovely work, as always...

MariaJ said...

Oh boy what you have created. Your work is better than the original painting. Your colours and forms are so soft and I like that VERY much. I think you should use this technique more cause the result is so very beautiful. It would be also nice to see some steps before its ready.

Becky said...

My jaw is dropped open.
This is fabulous. Wonderful.

diva of quilts said...

Don't worry too much about jumping around. That's what it takes to find the perfect technique and style that's right for you. The van Gogh piece is great!

SeamRippstress said...

OMG! Love this piece! It looks like fun too. Let us know how you decide to mount it.

Deb H said...

You did a great job Micki, it looks wonderful! A+! (I teach thread painting)

jenclair said...

Lovely, Micki! What a beautiful little quilt.

Denim Doll said...

I love it - what at great intreprettion... PP

Granny Fran said...

Love your Van Gogh.

I have been thinking about doing a blog that sounds much like your first paragraph. Mine isn't too many techniques, it is too many projects at the same time. I keep running from one to another instead of just finishing one at a time.

Karoda said...

Hey Micki...Your Van Gogh is very nice and your hand felting below is cool too.

I'm kinda waiting for all the techniques, interest to crystalize into a vision that says "Karoda"...maybe its just the way you work...try integrating the different interests and see how that goes for you.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful quilt.

Dianne said...

What a beautiful picture. Wonderful stitching!!