Thursday, August 31, 2006

The End of August and My Matisse

It is hard to believe that yet another month has come and gone. Where does the time go? And even though the official start of fall is not for several more weeks, we are starting to see signs of it here and even the weather is cooler and less humid.

I have finished my piece from lesson 2 from my online class at QU. Lesson 2 is about the structure of an art piece. One of the examples used is a piece by Henri Matisse - “A Woman Sitting by the Window”. We were shown how to break down the art piece by the basic format or layout and then how to define the objects or subject in it. From there we went on to make our drawing and create our fabric piece.

Here is the Matisse piece we started with:






















And this is my rendition:










My Matisse measures
8.5" x 11"












The hardest thing for me was finding fabrics to use. You would think that for someone with as much fabric as I have that that wouldn’t be a problem, but it was. LOL! This is fused to a piece of muslin. I don’t know if I will do anything more to it or not right now.

14 comments:

sue b said...

It's wonderful!

Debby said...

What fun! I love it! =-)

Deb H said...

I like yours better than the original!

SeamRippstress said...

Ok, you've inspired me. I just can't seem to get started on this one! I like the shading in her dress and your batik in the bkground.

Micki said...

Thank you, Debby. It was an interesting exercise.

Conni said...

I love this!

Deb Geyer said...

It is great, Micki! What a neat exercise.

Granny Fran said...

I really like your Matisse lady; your choice of fabrics really were right on.
She is beautiful!

MargaretR said...

I love it too Micki, its beautiful in it's simplicity. But I would love to see another one with the tiniest bit of stitching on it?

Cat said...

This looks really neat, I've never tried anything like that before.

diva of quilts said...

Beautiful! also wonderful choice of fabrics. I just love Matisse.

Kay said...

This is fascinating. I'm so sorry I missed that class at QU. It sounds very worthwhile. The colors in yours are beautiful.

jenclair said...

Micki, I had to click on the pic to be sure it was made of fabric! I love it!

catsmum said...

very nice Micki ... I prefer your one :]