Wednesday, August 23, 2006

August Journal Quilt Reveal--part 2

***Scroll down to read Part 1 first***

Continuing where blogger cut me off.......

I tried several arrangements, but none of them where exactly what I needed, so I did some cutting and pasting and manipulation and then I printed them onto cotton fabric using my new Epson printer and Durabrite inks.

















Lesson 1 focused on shapes and had us first create a drawing of a still life which we then converted into fabric. Before cutting out the individual flowers I fused them to wonder under. The vase pieces used Steam a Seam 2 which is okay but you don’t always get the crisp edges with it like you do with the wonder under.

After arranging everything I then fused it down to the background. The top half is of course the fabric I painted and the bottom is a piece of commercial fabric. Queen Anne’s Lace doesn’t have much in the way of leaves so I chose not to depict them. I used a fabric marker to create the stems.

























It is hard to tell from the picture but I quilted around the flower on the table and also quilted slanted lines on the table top. I did a satin stitch on the edge of the vase. The flowers are only fused down. I thought about stitching them with monofilament thread, but because they are such a lacey flower I was afraid that would ruin the effect. I can’t decide whether or not to echo quilt around them like the one on the table.

I forgot to mention that the quilt itself has seven layers (counting the three layers of wonder under used to fuse everything together. There is a layer of very thin cotton batting and a piece of Pellon pelmet #70 in there for stiffness. For some reason I had more trouble with making the binding than I should have. I think it was because the painted fabric is stiffer and it made it harder to work with. I also got in a hurry and put the top and bottom binding pieces on first instead of last.

Can someone tell me if there is a better/nicer looking way to do the corners when doing 4-piece binding? I have no problem doing mitered corners on quilts, but on these smaller pieces, especially this one because of the thickness of everything I had a horrible time making them look half way decent.

17 comments:

quiltnbee said...

Wow, I love your Queen Anne's Lace! One of my fav. flowers...I enjoyed reading about your process and think that it is something I want to try. The flowers really look so good. The vase is so cool, the fabric appears to shimmer and is a wonderful color, and of course, I love the blue. I have no pointers on the edges as I always do a mitre...but I think they look fine! Very nice!

Karoda said...

You got me saying ummmm, "I'll have to try that" about the scanning of the actual item. You did a great job with this journal quilt!

Granny Fran said...

I noticed your binding, and thought how nice it looked, right away. This is a beautiful piece. I love queen Anne's lace, and your scanned ones are great. The hand painted fabric is fantastic. Is the vase fabric also hand painted? It's lovely. I think it would enhance the flowers to do the echo quilting around them.

I've been doing printed photos of my flowers this summer, but want to try scanning the flowers directly. I am beginning to wish for an Epson printer.

Deb Geyer said...

Very nice journal quilt, Micki. Scanning and printing the flowers is a neat process. I like how you have quilted table top.

Bindings are hard on these small pieces. I don't have any recommendations.

Kay said...

This is wonderful! I have been wanting to do Queen Ann's Lace for years, and finally did a piece about a month ago which is on my blog. It's real challenge to capture the delicacy. I like your solution very much.

Judy said...

What a great job! I love the Queen Anne's Lace...and thanks for walking us through your process.
Have you tried using a fusible binding like Robbi Joy Eklow does? Actually, I think your binding looks great.

SeamRippstress said...

Facinating process and lovely, delicate piece! I love how you placed your flowers down and the painted fabric over so when you cut, it blends with the background. I'll also try Wonder Under next time to see how it fussy cuts.

Conni said...

beautiful and delicate piece!

Sande said...

Your scanning of the handpainted fabric with the real flowers turned out great...and a great idea. The whole project is really nice and something to be proud of.

MargaretR said...

That's a lovely piece Micki and it has reminded me of scanning things I want into the computer. Something I don't do much since I now use the digital camera.
it has worked out perfectly with your Epson printer.

Denim Doll said...

Looks great Micki - Pam P

The Lone Beader said...

That is beautiful!!! I love picture quilts like this:)

Deb H said...

I can't believe I hadn't commented here already. I must've read this at work when waiting for a case to finish, I can't get to the comment section there because of their security.

I love Queen Anne's Lace. You did a nice job on it. I think your binding looks fine. I usually don't do that type of binding, but when I have, I trim away some of the under layers to make it less bulky.

Allison said...

I love it! This is a treat to look at.
To clarify, I don't scan the flowers...I photograph them and then print my photographs. I think I will have to try some scanning though because yours came out great.

Kim said...

This turned out really nice. Great use of the scanner - great way to capture the delicacy of the Queen's Anne Lace and bring just the right amount of texture to the quilt. Your binding looks fine. I've stopped putting a fabric binding on these small pieces and instead I am just attaching knit-cro-sheen around the edge with a blanket stitch.

Anonymous said...

http://digital-nature-photography.blogspot.com
http://digital-food-photography.blogspot.com
www.lasik.cash-wraps.com

Karoda said...

wooo, this is nice...i like the dimension that scanning gives...did you paint the pink fabric also? I think I would echo around the flowers.