Thursday, July 20, 2006

July Journal Quilt Reveal

* just a reminder to anyone who doesn't know, these journal quilts are not going to the Houston show this fall.*

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of July? Why the Fourth, of course, and fireworks and days hotter than a firecracker. At least that is what I think of. And in keeping with the nature/garden theme, I have chosen the “Firecracker or Patriotic plant” (the annual not the perennial) for my subject for my July journal quilt.

I thought I had some pictures from a couple of years ago when I had these in pots on my deck, but I couldn’t find any. In case you are not familiar with this plant I found these photos online. This is a picture of the perennial which really is different from the annual, but you can get the idea of what it looks like. Red tubular firecracker-like flowers cover these plants.




























After choosing fabric for the background and the pot I chose three different green fabrics to cut the leaves from. I first applied fusible web to the fabrics and then cut the leaves and arranged them sort of snippets style. Fusible web was applied to two different red fabrics and then I cut several half inch strips from these, which I then cut into a million tiny little pieces. I then placed these one by one until I was satisfied with the look.

Now I know how Melody Johnson must have felt when she did her Matchstick Moon pieces. LOL! When everything was to my liking I fused it all down. I just did outline quilting on it and called it done.

This photo doesn’t really do justice to the green fabrics but here it is for what it's worth.
























I was going to post some other pics, but blogger isn't co-operating AGAIN.

I am beginning to get really fed up with this blog.

20 comments:

Karoda said...

Well look at you! Nice pictorial.

Rian said...

Incredible!

Cat said...

That is incredible indeed! I love it when art imitates nature, and THIS is good!!! What a lot of work - kind of like putting a zillion piece puzzel together I bet.

Sande said...

What a neat idea. It's both simple and complex...you really did justice to the plant and the firecracker theme. Great job!

Granny Fran said...

Great fireworks. I've been cogitating about trying some flowers from snippets of fabric. This one turned out so great I'll really have to do it. I like the way you stitched around the motif, very effective.

Deb Geyer said...

I love it, Micki!It has a very simple look to it although I'm sure it was somewhat tedious to get all the pieces just right! It is beautiful!

Blogger can get frustrating. I have learned to go with the flow. If it is not working, I wait and try again another day. That way my blood pressure doesn't rise!

Scrapmaker said...

Very nifty. I like the way you used varying shades of red and green for depth. Jen

Kay said...

I like this very much. Great job with the tedious little snippets. What kind of fusible did you use? As I posted on my blog, I find fusibles very frustrating, and this detailed piece is just the kind of thing that is most difficult for me. So I'm impressed with your success in using the material as well as the lovely job you did of abstracting those flowers enough to convert them into fabric.

Suze said...

very cool...I have never seen a firecracker plant! I really like the interpretation...All those teenie pieces - I would be scared they would blow away while I was putting them down!

If you load your pictures to Photobucket and use the links Photobucket creates, you get around Blogger's bad manners with picture uploading...I switched over several months ago and haven't had any picture problems since...

MargaretR said...

That quilt has so much depth to it Micki, the dark leaves in the shadow bring out the lighter coloured leaves and flowers. A very successful piece and I love it.
Those sheers are even better than the photo and the mauve felt I bought was a type of Kunin felt and burns, if I'd known that I would have bought some dark green as well. It was in the bargain basket at Abakhan!

Kim said...

Sweet. I, too, like the depth that you achieved. Nice job.

Deb H said...

Wow, Micki it's wonderful! What a lot of work! All those tiny little pieces! Beautiful job!

Denim Doll said...

micki - your july journal is great - way to go!! DD

jenclair said...

I love the plant, and I love the quilt!!

Debra Spincic said...

What can I add to the comments? Fun and fabulous!

Linda said...

Wonderful! You did a great job with it.
Linda

jackie said...

Hope you don't give up on the blog.
Thanks for your comment. I got over the maxi stitches problem by going back to lurk on the pfaff talk site. I can stitch them perfectly by using the frame and dropping the feed.

Gina E. said...

Hi Micki,
Thanks for dropping by Patra's Place - always happy to see new names! I am delighted that so many people will be able to use the peacock design that Pam has come up with, based on my little doiley!

Random Quilter said...

Great job!

Julaine said...

A wonderful tribute to your plant - I wish something like that would grow up north...keep enjoying the process, Micki!