Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Playday and Hoops

I had an artist playday with our very own Karoda yesterday. And believe me when I say I was playing that is what I did. While Karoda was busy dying 30 yards of fabric (yes, you read that right), I was just playing around. She had rented studio space for an entire week at the Mary Anderson Center and was kind enough to invite me to come up for awhile.

I don’t have any dyes so I gathered up some supplies and just spent some time playing around with a few small pieces of fabric. I found out that white felt doesn’t take paint very well. I had 3 small pieces that I painted using Jaquards Dye-na-Flow paints. When they eventually dried there wasn’t much color to them even though they looked good while they were wet. I painted 2 pieces of PFD fabric using spray fabric paints. They too looked better wet than dry, but with these I can go back and add more to them. I also did a little bit of stamping on a piece of commercial fabric. Didn’t turn out quite like I had hoped but I should be able to salvage it also. And I took a couple of pieces of cheesecloth to soak up the excess paint left over. (sorry no pictures, I didn’t take my camera).

Since I don’t get to do this kind of thing very often I especially enjoyed just talking and being with her.

Now on to other subjects. Does anyone know where I can find an 8” or 10” square wooden machine embroidery hoop in the U.S.? I found a source in the U.K. but was hoping to find one here. I did a search online, but the UK site was all that came up. I have several of the good round hoops, but would like to have a square one also.


Here’s a pic:



5 comments:

Karoda said...

hey, micki...it was cool having a partner in crime. i don't think all 30 yards will get dyed but i'm diligent. today another artist arrived who is a composer who used the piano in the studio across the hall...it was soft and soothing, i told her to come earlier tomorrow. :)

the felt may need layers upon layers to take. and maybe an opaque setacolor or something similiar...

Deb H said...

I know, when we had Jan Beany here, we got square hoops from a source in California. I've left a message on my friend's answering machine, to ask where we ordered them from. I'll let you know!

Playing with Karoda sounds like fun!

Mandi aka Fabric Princess said...

I bought one a few years ago at Nancy's Notions (online, actually). You might check there or clotilde.com

Cat said...

Sounds like a delightful day.

The Lone Beader said...

I'd like to have a square embroidery hoop, too. Not sure what I'd do with it, though... LOL!