Wednesday, May 24, 2006

May Journal Quilt Reveal

It is quilt journal reveal time again and I’ve decided to stay with the nature theme for my May journal. I chose the Iris for my subject as that is what is blooming in proliferation in my gardens in the month of May.

I wasn’t sure how I was going to do this one when I first started thinking about it. I drew up my pattern and played around some with it. I debated between having three smaller flowers or one larger flower. As you can see I decided on having just the one larger Iris.























I think this qualifies as trapunto. That is what I was going for. I have never really tried trapunto before and I thought, okay this will be my new technique that I learn from this piece. I used a piece of polyester batting, stitched the Iris and leaves on, then cut the excess batting away. Then I added a piece of thin cotton batting and continued as usual.

I had no idea how I was going to quilt the background when I started. When it came time to quilt I couldn’t see me trying to do any stipple quilting in the small spaces between the flower petals or the leaves, so I decided to do the garnet stitch. Once I started, I wasn’t really all that happy with it but there was no going back at that point. When I got up to the flower petals, I knew I had to do something else. All those little circles were making me crossed eyed. LOL!

It is hard to tell in this picture, but the Iris and leaves really do stand out from the background.

















The border was first fused on and then I stitched near the edge. The back is a piece of the same fabric I used for the border.

I am not totally pleased with this, but I am not displeased either. Any comments as to what I could have done to improve on this are welcome. I didn’t even name this one.

Here are a few pictures of some of the Irises that are/where in full bloom just a couple of weeks ago.

































































This is a close up of my Clematis on its small trellis.
















My husband loves these little guys.







17 comments:

quiltnbee said...

Wonderful, micki! I love iris...Wow, that is a LOT of circles! =-) I really like the wavy border on this. Great job!

Deb H said...

Beautiful Micki, Even my husband loves it! He being an artist himself has an artist's eye, & very good taste!

Deb Geyer said...

Mikie, I think it is very nice! It so simple and bold, very much like an iris is. I like how you scallopped the border.

Marianne said...

I think this one deserves to be named! You're selling yourself short on this one. The design is great and I love the quilting. Never done the circles myself but I will give it a try because it looks good. I also like the border, must remember that as well.

Conni said...

Very nice. I love the quilting on this!

Allison said...

I love the change in quilting from the garnet to the echo...that's very effective! Isn't it amazing how what we don't plan ends up being so supportive of our intentions for a piece?
This is a wonderful tribute to your beautiful flowers!

jenclair said...

Well done! I especially like the scalloped border!

Sande said...

Wow! What to change? Wouldn't change a thing! It makes such a beautiful and bold statement. I love the iris fabric texture, the colors you chose, the two different quilting patterns, the scalloped edges...

MargaretR said...

I agree with Sade. I wouldn't change a thing.

Linda said...

No changes could be offered from my point of view! It is really a pretty piece. I love the quilting. The garnet below reminds me of the flowerbed and the echo of the sky. It couldn't be better. Great job.
Linda

Barbara C said...

Nothing says spring like irises, right? I love the purple frame and the way the background quilting is different in the bottom and top of the quilt.

Granny Fran said...

Your Iris is really good. The simple shape is well set off with the difference in the garnet quilting for the ground and the echo quilting for the sky. The scalloped border is so much more interesting than a plain one would have been. A very successful piece in my eyes. The colors of the iris in your garden are wonderful as well as the sweet williams.

The Lone Beader said...

Oh wow! Your quilt is so life-like! I really enjoyed looking at this. Thank you for sharing:)

Denim Doll said...

Micki - I love your Iris - and as the others said - No changes needed - the garnet stitch at the bottom and the outline stitch at the top really accenutates the Iris. The photo's from your garden are wonderful - A grand intrepretation of your inspiration. PP

jackie said...

Thanks for your comment on my work.I liked your remark on a previous post that nothing is as simple as it first seems - this so true. At a recent workshop there was a good idea, which was new to me, to use carded fleece for the trapunto stuffing. I liked your Iris; the quilting looked as if it would be hard work.

abeautifulcraft said...

Stunning, don't change anything, it's perfect!!! What a lovely memory this will make of those gorgeous flowers, something to hold onto forever.

pat winter said...

I love your garden. I think your flower choice is gorgeous! I haven't had time to browse your blog. Will do that asap.
Pat W.