Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Where Did March Go?

I spent several hours outside today. We were cleaning the property up of the mess that was left behind from the stormy weather we had on Monday evening. There was a couple of large branches from the trees at the back of the property and then there where numerous (meaning hundreds) of smaller branches scattered all over the yard. Also there was dozens and dozens of pine cones and gum balls (from the sweet gum tree) that had to be picked up. When we were finished with that, we mowed the yard (the first of the season).

It felt good to be outside in the sunshine even though there was a chilly breeze. I think it helped me with the state of mind I have been in. I don’t know if any of you are affected by the changing of the seasons or not, but I do know that I suffer when we change from summer to fall and from winter to spring. It seems like it takes forever for me to adjust to things at these two times of the year. Of course, I am less affected in spring than fall. The warming of the weather helps to rid the winter blues (and I do mean blues). It just seems like it has been such a long time since I have really felt like wanting to do anything. I haven't done anything even remotely related to quilting for some time now. The last sewing related project I worked on was about a week or so ago and that was when I embroidered some emblems onto DH's work shirts.


Now I can look forward to spending hours at a time doing gardening.

I am about a week or so past the prime blossoming time for some of the flowers around here, but I thought I would post a couple of pictures anyway.















These are dwarf irises that bloom about the same time as daffodils. Sorry for the crappy picture, just couldn’t get it clear.














A section of the forsythias.



















Another section. That is our small fish pond in the foreground. It is in the center of a large flower bed.

6 comments:

Elle said...

I love the little bridge over the fish pond.

mary m. said...

Those verdant scenes would cheer me up, too. You seem like a very sensitive person to have the change of seasons effect you like that. Soon, you'll be inspired to create again! You need the breaks from fiber work, I know I do.

MargaretR said...

Strange to think your forsythia is blooming there in Kentucky at the same time as it is here in Wales.

Conni said...

Hey Micki, I’m waiting for spring, too! There was a dusting of snow on the ground here in NJ this morning! Meanwhile, just looking at your lovely bright yellow forsythias cheers me up considerably!

Deb H said...

Looks nice there. I love the little bridge & the pretty bushes. Things are still snow covered in my yard,& by the end of May when the snow is gone I'll have lots of yard work to do since our house was moved last year & the grass was all messed up by the construction.

Shirley Goodwin said...

We're in autumn here now, and I know what you mean by the winter blues, Micki.