Monday, April 24, 2006

April Journal Quilt 2006 Reveal

It’s time for the reveal of the April Journal Quilts. This group of quilters started out at the About.com quilting forum but within the last month or so we have switched over to Delphi-forums. You can check out our webshot pages over the next few days and see all of the quilts. Or you can go to the group list by clicking on the Journal Quilt Challenge link in my sidebar and reading the blogs along with seeing the quilts.

I did not do a journal page for March for a number of reasons, one of which was I just couldn’t pick subject. Plus I just couldn’t get my act together to do it.


However, I did do one for April. I decided to go with a nature theme and base it on what is going on around me in my garden and yard. If you are a regular reader you will remember a couple of pictures from an earlier post of the forsythias in bloom. I chose to do a journal page using that as my subject.


I used the photo as my starting point and painted my background fabric which is 100% cotton. The colors are not true to life here in this pic.

Click on any pic to see larger image.



















I fused a very light stabilizer to the cotton and placed in a hoop and using Sulky’s Ultra Twist thread in two different colors I “painted” the grass. Then I thread painted in the shrubbery trunks and branches using the Ultra Twist in brown.















I then stitched over the branches with golden yellow rayon embroidery thread. I discovered that in some areas I needed more of the brown branches but I had already stitched the yellow blooms in those few areas; I took a fabric pen and added a few branches where I felt it needed it.





















Once I was satisfied with this I squared it up and added the green borders. I used a spray adhesive to add both a piece of batting and a piece of pelmet vilene to make the piece stiff. I took a cutting from the shrub and scanned it into the computer where I erased the background and then sized it for two print-outs and used them to trace my pattern to stitch in the borders. I did not trust my self to just free-motion stitch the design but with the pattern I was able to free motion stitch them without a hitch.






pattern taped to border








forsythia design


Here is the finished piece: “Forsythia: My Wall of Sunshine”

















For the back I used a piece of commercial cotton fabric which I soaked in Bubble Jet 2000 and printed the forsythia branches and my journaling along with the label. It took me two times to get this back piece made. The fabric I used for the back was a looser weave than I normally like to use and so it was a little prone to raveling. Also, I had purchased some of those freezer paper sheets to use and I had a hard time getting the fabric to adhere to the sheet. Once I did, I still had to tape the leading edge and the two sides. Then I had a hard time getting this sheet to feed into my printer (it wanted to curl even though they advertised that these sheets would not do that because they are thicker than ordinary freezer paper). When I finally got it into the printer, it wasn’t lined up right and so it printed cutting off part of the branches. The second time I still had a little bit of a problem but was finally able to get it right.



















Although none of the techniques used were new to me, I still look at this as a learning experience. I find that I do learn a little something from doing these journal pages. I have learned that nothing is as simple as you think, and that it almost always never fails to take longer than you think it will. LOL. I admit that I look forward to the end of each month and enjoy seeing all of the journals made by everyone else in the group.


13 comments:

Karoda said...

How clever on tracing the design like that! And its a great piece!

Deb H said...

It's beautiful! Wonderful stitching,nice springy colors. I love the texture of trees & bushes.Good Job!

Conni said...

Micki, I love this! I remember your forsythia post and how it brightened my day. What a wonderfully creative interpretation of your “wall of sunshine!”

Gerrie said...

Wonderful stitching. This is a lovely little piece.

PaigeTurner said...

very cool!

Granny Fran said...

I love forsythia and I love your piece. The use of the forsythia branches for the quilting design and and as the back photo make it so rich and your stitching is great.

Denim Doll said...

Micki - your april Journal is great - reminds me of the forsythia that blooms at my parents house in OHIO>>> PP

quiltnbee said...

Lovely! I had never seen forsythia in bloom in person before this last month when I was finally in the Northeast at the right time. We don't have them in SoCA...at least not that I've ever seen, so it was a real treat! Your journal certainly does them justice. I love your stitching of the branches and the fabric painting is such a wonderful way to start...great job!

Sande said...

Very creative and beautiful. Your step by step was very interesting and that green border works really well to set off the piece. I've used Bubble Jet and freezer paper and had similar experiences but the back of your piece turned out really well in spite of it. I guess it's worth the frustrations.

Becky said...

Very pretty - feels like springtime! I love your thread painting.

MargaretR said...

I love forsythia and what you have done with it. The idea of using a yellow background and then stitiching in branches has worked out so well. Brilliant work.

Marianne said...

Lovely piece! Like the simplicity of it, very elegant and effective. Thanks for sharing your techniques, love the way you got your quilting design, you strike me as a person who will go at great lenghts to achieve what you're after!

Debra Spincic said...

Beautiful little piece!