Monday, March 06, 2006

I Haven't Disappeared

Wow! It’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything. I can’t believe we are already into March. Not much to blog about. The same old routine stuff has been going on around here mostly. We all have our day to day stuff to contend with going on in our lives and we can relate to others’ situations a lot of the time as it can pretty much be the same as our own.

I have been in the studio off and on working on some things. Speaking of the studio, I got DH to put up a light fixture over my work area so I could work on things at night and be able to see what I am doing.

I started a piece that is on the design wall waiting for me to come back and add that next little something or other to it. I had also slipped back in that mode of not quite having any clear idea of what I wanted to do (I am going to blame this on hormones or lack there of). Any way, a few weeks ago I decided to do something in a different venue that has enabled me to still be creative on a somewhat daily routine. I have been working on another art doll. I made this one a couple of years ago using a pattern from Patti Medaris Culea. Once I had the basic doll made, I then used my own ideas for creating her clothes and hair.











click on image to enlarge











I decided to crochet her clothes and just made this up as I went along without any pattern or directions. And of course she needed some jewelry. When I was finished I took a good look at her and then gave her the name of “Rainbow: aka the Tattooed Lady”, because I thought she sort of looked like she has tattoos on her arms, which by the way I hate.

I am about half way finished with the new doll. I will post a picture when she is completed, which may be awhile as I am going to redo her head as I am not happy with her face.

17 comments:

MargaretR said...

I love your Tattooed Lady in her crocheted clothes and I look forward to seeing your new doll.
That is something I have never done and would like to. I loved making dolls clothes when I was a child.

jenclair said...

Oh, she's lovely, Micki!

arlee said...

Even before i scrolled down to see what you had named her, i thought "OOOO, a San Francisco wear a flower in your hair type girl"!!
Wonderful!

Sarah said...

Now, how COOL is she!! Oh my!!

Sarah said...

Oh, and BTW, how nice to be able to see what you're doing when you work at night...said DH is an angel!!!

Kim said...

She's a free spirit - love the hair! Nice work Micki!

Micki said...

Sarah,

thanks for your comments. yes it is great to have more light at night.

Conni said...

Micki, she is wonderful!!! Love that crocheted outfit, too!

Kat said...

Your tattooed lady is great, crocheting her clothes was a great idea

Micki said...

Kat,

Thank you. She was fun to make.

Scrapmaker said...

She has so much lively personality! I haven't got the talent or patience for doll making, but I really love looking at them. She is wonderful! Jen

Deborah said...

Very original interpretation. I love it.

Collectincat said...

Had to stop over and visit your blog, after your visit to mine. And was so glad I did. LOVE the doll, and from your profile, you and I have a great many similarities in our creative thinking. I don't like 'dollies' that are antique, or baby-like, but I love these fantasy dolls. Had seen some at a quilt fair, and yours is so like that ethereal type you would expect to see in a sunny meadow or foggy woods. Appreciate your using many types of creativity in one project. Like crocheting and doll sculpting, and quilting and embellishing and, and, and...

Liz said...

This is gorgeous, Micki! I'd love to have a go at dollmaking sometime...

Deb H said...

Very Cute. I've taken a couple of classes from Patti & used her pattern to make a mermaid doll. I did the same thing,hair & tail my own way.

Balwearie said...

Ooooo la la! I love the crochetted clothes -- esp. the top. I'm working on a PMC doll myself for Project Spectrum for April. Can't wait to see your new doll!

Michelle said...

That is, without a doubt, one of the most glorious dolls I've ever seen. It's breathtaking!