Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I Did Some Fabric Dyeing

Last Saturday I took a 1 day fabric dyeing workshop using the low-water immersion method in freezer bags taught by Juanita Yeager. This was my first time for dyeing fabrics with this method. It was a small class and Juanita was a fun and very thorough teacher.































I only took these 2 pictures because once we got into the actual mixing of the dyes I was too busy and didn’t want to handle the camera.

We choose two primary colors to use that when mixed would create a third color. We dyed a total of three yards of fabric which we had cut into six pieces. I chose fuchsia and turquoise as my primary colors and dyed a piece of fabric in each of those two colors. Then we mixed these colors to create shades in between and dyed the other pieces.

I let the fabrics batch until about noon today then I went through the rinsing and wash out process. And then there was the drying and ironing process.

It was a cold and cloudy day, so I only took photos of three pieces this afternoon.

I could not get a good photo of this piece for some reason. I tried three times and it just does not show as well as the other two.



















fabric 1


















fabric 2


I really like how this piece turned out.


















fabric 3



This was a very informative class for me. We even had left over dye that we brought home. Mine is in the fridge for now. When the weather warms up, maybe I will attempt to dye some more fabric.

Hopefully tomorrow will be sunny and there will be more light to take pictures of the rest of the fabrics.








7 comments:

Karoda said...

Glad you made it!!!!! Did you get to see the exhibit before it came down?

Deb R said...

Looks like you had fun!

Looking forward to seeing more pics when the light improves. (We didn't see a speck of sun here all day either.)

mary m. said...

Micki,

I love your fabrics! I am going to venture into low water immersion dyeing, too as soon as the weather improves.

Sande said...

Beautiful colors. Yes, the third one is gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you make with them.

jenclair said...

Oh, lucky you! What a great workshop and what beautiful fabrics!

Elle said...

That looks like fun! Love that purple. And you know, it never occurred to me to freeze leftover dye before!

Deb H said...

Very Fun. I love hand dyes. I just took an Ann Johnston class, where we thickened the dyes & printed with it. I learned a lot. I just posted a couple of pieces. Saw you comment on my card. Thanks for looking. It was a cute card. Kathy was afraid it might offend me because I have a cat. She's allergic, & has to take drugs when she visits me.