Sunday, February 19, 2006

February Journal 2006 Reveal

It is time for the February journal page reveals. You will be able to see all of the new journal pages over the next several days by going here.

I have chosen an Asian theme for the February journal page. I am thinking that I will stay with the Asian theme (since I have a lot of those fabrics) for the entire time but I really haven’t committed to this one way or the other.

I chose to do a simple kimono image.


















(click on images to enlarge)

I drew a template and then found just the right place in my fabric from which to cut it from, focusing on the butterfly. After cutting out the kimono, I then went looking through my stash for a fabric to use for the kimono background. I debated between a white on white background and the black that I ended up using. The white on white was sort of okay, but when I chose the printed fabric to use for the frame, I decided the black looked better.


















I fused the kimono to the black and then I fused the black to the printed fabric. I decided to cut the print larger than the finished size so that I could wrap it around to the back and use as the border for the back side. At this point I really hadn’t planned to do much to the back side, so I chose a piece of the white on white and thought I would just fuse my label to it.

Well after I did this, wouldn’t you know I decided to be a little more creative with the back. I found a poem about the butterfly and wrote out the wording for my label. Working in Paint Shop Pro, I added the butterflies and combined everything into the label. I had jumped ahead and had fused the back together and discovered I wasn’t that happy with using the white on white after all. I liked the print from the front showing on the back so I didn’t want to just fuse another fabric over the white. I really didn’t want to print my label on a piece of fabric either (because that would mean using the Bubble Jet Set, etc. etc.) I had a piece of beige vellum and decided to use it. After printing onto the vellum I fused Wonder Under to it and then fused this onto the back. Now, the back did not have that white glaring out at me. I like how it blended more with the print fabric. I just wish I had thought of this before I had fused the print fabric onto the back, then the edges of the vellum would have been underneath the print instead of on top of it.

The picture is a little fuzzy. I tried to sharpen the image but I just couldn’t get it any better than this.


















I added the fan charm before fusing the front to a piece of pelmet vilene. The bamboo was created later using a stencil. I taped the stencil to the front and then applied a thin layer of Xpandaprint. Once the design was filled in, I removed the stencil and then used my heat gun to puff up the Xpandaprint. I then applied gold acrylic paint to the design.















I’m not sure that this piece really qualifies as a journal “quilt” as there isn’t any quilting on it. And I still have no idea as to what I will do with all of these pages. I like the idea of a fabric journal, but since January’s page has no relation to February, I know I would just leave January out. Also, I am still looking through my books and magazines and trying to figure out if I will be able to incorporate February into the journal or not as the style I am considering would not let you see the back of this page.

25 comments:

MargaretR said...

This is beautiful Micki. The description on how you worked throughout was so interesting. I must do some stitching today! You have inspired me.

Jules said...

I love the kimono on the black background. And I really like the way you mix fabric and vellum together. That is a great idea that I would never have thought of. Your work really helps me to see outside the box.

jenclair said...

Lovely! The fussy cutting to get the butterfly centered and then finding the poem...perfect!

Gerrie said...

Very nice. I thought you had piecedd fabric, but the fussy cutting of onw fabric is very effective.

Sande said...

Micki, quilted or not this is absolutely stunning. You did a wonderful job on it. I love the way it looks like a landscape within the kimono shape and the colors are all great together. I want to read through the process more carefully later because some of the techniques you mention are new to me.

Scrapmaker said...

Truly lovely journal quilt. I really enjoyed reading about your process, what a wonderful attention to detail you have. Jen

quiltnbee said...

Micki, this is so lovely. I am very happy you decided on the black, it truly makes the quilt...and it is a quilt, quilting or not...The border fabric is very cool...I appreciate the explanations of your methods,now I have more food for creative thought! Wonderful job!
DebbyMc

Becky said...

Beautiful! I would love an arrangement of these on my wall!

Granny Fran said...

It all works together so beautifully. I love the kimono and caligraphy fabrics and the bamboo really sets it off. That Xpandaprint sounds fascinating to work with. Great that you were able to "fix" the back to satisfy your creative eye.

Pat/SWquilter said...

The black background was a wonderful decision - really makes the kimono pop! Beautiful work!

Allison said...

This is so artfully composed, the techniques supporting your intent so well. You should be proud!

Deb Geyer said...

I like the composition; adding the bamboo and the fan add a lot to it! I wish I could touch it!

Kim said...

Wonderful! I love that you found inspiration in the fabric. The additional embellishments added an elegance and gave the piece more depth. I've also been thinking of putting my journal quilts into a fabric book. One idea is to sew two small rings on the sides of the journal quilts and making a cover that has eyelets so that the whole thing can be bound together with a decorative cord.

Denim Doll said...

Nice job Micki -PP

Barbara C said...

Very charming piece!

Linda said...

However you display your pieces... they are wonderful! I really think your kimono is stunning. thanks for sharing with us

Marianne said...

Very strong image, you have indeed found a perfect spot in the fabric, it looks like a landscape combined with the shape of the kimono makes a intriguing image. You described some items I don't know like vellum, can you tell me what that is? The bamboo is a great addition too!

Karoda said...

I'm going to suggest that this be a model for a larger one. The layout is very pleasing.

Shirley Goodwin said...

This is lovely, Micki. How big is this piece? You have composed it beautifully.

Shirley in New Zealand

Suze said...

Very graceful and restful piece...a very oriental feeling... I love how the butterfly looks like it is springing up from a lake. The gold accents are pretty neat too. Nicely balanced.

Deborah said...

This is lovely.

Sandysue said...

Oh my goodness, this is a nice one too. That's a really great piece.

Vikki said...

Love it Micki!

Elle said...

Beautiful! The black background really brought out the kimono's colors!

Deb H said...

This really is a beautiful piece. If you ever have time follow my blog to my web page, & on my client page the is a beautiful kimono quilt that I had the privilage of quilting. Dori, my client did all the applique, & it's her original work.