Monday, January 23, 2006

Too Much

Have you ever kept track of how much time you spend on the computer each day? The past few weeks or so I am sure I must be averaging around 4 hours (around 2 hours in the evening and about another 2 hours late at night).

Not all of this time has been surfing the web. Besides checking email at 3 different areas daily, it has involved a large number of hours getting set up in one ring site or another. And of course, nothing ever goes smoothly. Just when you think you have the hang of something that is when everything goes wrong and you have to start all over and spend that much more time doing it.

Like this past Friday night for instance. I spent 2 hours trying to get the piece about my January journal posted to the blog. Whenever I am going to add a new article I compose it first offline in Word, fiddle with any photos in my imaging software and then I will go online and paste into the blog. Sounds fairly simple right? You expect to be in and out in a few minutes. Well I don’t know what it was that time, but I know it took forever to make that post take. Talk about being FRUSTRATED!

Well hopefully I am getting close to having everything set up right in all of the right places and can cut back on the computer time and spend more time in the studio. I don’t know how some of you manage to do all of the things that you do (work full-time, teach, travel, make quilts, manage a household, surf the web and write a blog) just to name a few things. I remember what it was like before I “retired” 4 ½ years ago. Now I have just about all the time (but not money) in the world and still have trouble getting some things done. (I can hear you all now “Drag your butt away from the computer and blah, blah, blah”). LOL

I intend to do that right now!

6 comments:

jenclair said...

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat. Anything new on the computer takes so much time, I'm embarrassed to record it.

Just reading the blogs takes a lot of time. Of course, this is like some kind of obsessive/compulsive behaviour - no one but ME makes me do it. Still, the first thing I do when I get home? COMPUTER!

Kim said...

Agreed. Huffing and puffing up the learning curve has been frustrating but it seems to be more manageable now. The time issues reminds me of thirty some odd years ago when I'd go to look for a word in the dictionary (an actual book.) Forty-five minutes later I'd have forgotten what the original word was - but I had fun looking. I love the inspirational high I get from this community/www, I just have to be careful not to become an addict!

Karoda said...

I always consider the time it takes for the learning curve before making a commitment now...seeing as to how I'm only interested in the outcomes, learning technology for the sake of putting me in "control" is low on my list. For instance, because I want a website of my own doesn't mean I need to learn codes and such as it means finding a person who loves doing this and that gels with me very well to the degree that I wouldn't mind paying for the service.

I always justify my time online because I gave up tv years ago only to return this season with just a few select shows. I find it better to break up my online time in small chunks of time over the day and schedule it in even some weeks.

Debra Spincic said...

I haven't found typing in Word and then pasting to be very good. There always seems to be a formatting issue that doesn't transfer well and I end up redoing it. I just type in the blogger editor page and go with it.

There isn't anything more to learn about the challenge (really) so you are home free. Just think of the gals who didn't even know what a blog was & never had one!

I need to balance my computer time with my design time so I don't feel too lopsided in one direction.

MargaretR said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one obsessed with the computer. I have just read your note and all the comments to my husband who says I don't talk any more. I spend so many hours a day on mine. I didn't know you could use Word first to fill the blog? I don't think I will as I've just got the hang of it my way(smile)

Linda said...

I love the computer and get lost in it. Time goes by and I haven't had a minute at my sewing machine. I've been very aware of that today and I've got to move over about 2 feet and sit in front of my sewing machine instead of on the computer reading and blogging about sewing !!!