Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Postscript, and Some Thoughts

While making the rounds and reading everyones blogs I realized that there was something else that I left off of my list from my last post. I don’t know how I could have forgotten this one. In October I submitted two pieces to a show that is coming up shortly. This was my first time to submit any of my work. Sadly to say, a few weeks later I received a rejection letter. I was kind of nervous about making the submissions and didn’t really expect to get accepted, but of course I still hoped that maybe at least one of them would.

Many of you have been listing your goals for this new year and one of the things being listed is to enter more shows. I got to thinking about this and when you get to adding up all the entry fees, the cost of having photos and slides made, and postage for return as well as sending in submissions that this can get to be fairly expensive. Then there are the additional costs if your work is accepted and you have to ship and insure each of these. I guess when it gets right down to it I won’t be planning on entering very many shows.

I am not going to make a list of goals for the coming year (at least not now), but one thing I know is that I hope that I will be able to continue to create things if not on a daily basis, then on as regular a basis as is possible. I intend to experiment and try new techniques this coming year. And even though they will be small pieces, that is why I joined the JQC2006. By doing these journal pages, hopefully it will help to get the creative juices flowing again. I just hope those juices get their butt in gear, cause right now I am all dried up!

4 comments:

Jenny Wren said...

Hi Micki. Maybe a local library or community center would consider hosting a small showing of local quilt / fiber artists?

mary m. said...

Micki,

I know exactly where you are coming from. Those quilt shows should be paying us to submit quilts...they make a lot of money off quilters (especially us non-prize winners ;D). This is not sour grapes, at least we can get the satisfaction of showing what we make online... and it would never stop me from making quilts, I hope it won't stop you, either.

Debra Spincic said...

I have had more people look at my "rejected" Lady of Guadalupe quilt in my Webshots album than would probably ever really see it at a Hoffman quilt show.

The JQC will get you moving along!

gabrielle said...

Micki, I have enough rejection letters to wallpaper my bathroom..hmmm.not a bad idea. Yes, there is cost to be considered but pick the shows to match the work and I bet there will be acceptances letters on the way. Keep the faith.