Saturday, January 21, 2006

January Journal 2006 Reveal

We are having our journal reveals this weekend. You can see all of the journals by visiting here over the next few days or so.

Those of you who have been reading my blog over the past months know that I have been in a creative slump and have been frustrated. So when I was invited to join the Journal Quilt Challenge 2006 I accepted hoping that this would help me get past this.

For January’s journal I decided to do a piece that depicted these feelings.

It is appropriately titled “Frustration”.






















That is a silhouette of me sitting on the floor hugging my knees surrounded by question marks.

I did the silhouette instead of an actual photo to convey emptiness. I chose the colors for their meanings. Black often is associated with unhappiness. White is sometimes associated with sterility as in “No Ideas”. Red stands for the frustration/anger that I have been feeling. The question marks symbolize all the unanswered questions of “why can’t I come up with a good idea”, “why doesn’t this work”, “why am I so hard on myself”, “why, why, why”. I thought the busy look of the black and white prints also helped to convey this.

I made a few attempts to draw an image of myself but wasn’t happy with them, so I came up with the brilliant (LOL) idea of sitting on the floor in front of the mirrored closet doors and snapping a few photos. After resizing the photo in PSP8 I printed a copy, cut out the silhouette and traced the image onto Wonder Under, fused it to my fabric, cut that out and fused to my background fabric. The questions marks were also made using Wonder Under and fused. Using a Micron Pigma pen and a stencil I wrote Frustration onto a piece of denim and frayed the edges. I was going to connect the broken parts of the letters but decided to leave them. I felt that this also helped with depicting this frustrated feeling. I then stitched this to the background.

I did very minimal quilting on this piece, another way that conveys my frustration and the creative block that I have been experiencing.

This is a copy of the label that will go on the back.

















The reason why it is not on there yet is I just printed it today using Bubble Jet Set 2000 and it has to set for another 24 hours before I can rinse it out with the Jet Set Rinse.

Though this piece looks quite simple, I agonized over it for awhile. Not the piece but what I was going to do. Once I figured that out, I had a relatively simple time creating it.

Hopefully I can come up with a cheerier subject for February. I haven’t really settled on a theme for these journal pages. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what happens next.

18 comments:

MargaretR said...

You say you had a creative block? Well I think you have at last broken it. This piece is really good and I wish I could think of such inspirational ideas.

Deb R said...

I can SO relate!

It turned out great, Micki.

jenclair said...

Like DebR, I can relate, but like Margaret, I think you've broken through the block! Love the silhouette and the graphic quality!

Pat/SWquilter said...

Sometimes I think doing something minimal is even more difficult -- you did a wonderful job! Don't beat yourself up over a theme, just let what happens happen -- I decided that my theme would be "no theme." I've come up with 7 or 8 ideas for pieces for this year but I can't think of any real relationship between them that I can call a them, per se. I just want to do them, and that's good enough I think.

Debra Spincic said...

I have to agree with the others!

You portrayed the Frustration so well--somewhere between black and white--how interesting? Art is never just black or just white & there are always questions.

You did this in spite of your unwillingness to acknowledge you have good ideas. Just keep going. . . it will happen.

thanks for joining the challenge!

Conni said...

Micki, I like the universality of your theme in this piece. The solitary questioning figure could be me (could be anyone) on any given day, not only grappling with where to go next, creatively, but also trying to work out the bigger issues – Why are we here? – Why is there so much suffering in the world? – Etc… And the frustration of having questions for which there are no answers.
Anyway, I like your powerful little quilt.

Kim said...

I think you have stood up and shattered that 'frustration' that has been hanging over you. I love the power of the piece and it's simplicity.

Marianne said...

I really like the way you made the silhouette, it's a powerful image. Will try to remember that when I can't draw something (which happens a lot LOL). You did a good job expressing your current mood.I hope it will lift soon and that inspiration will come flowing back.

Deb Geyer said...

I think you did a great job conveying the emotions you are going through right now. Maybe this is just the thing you needed to get moving again.

Karoda said...

who can't relate to this at some point, some time???? and it is intriguing how we used the same colours and yours was so personal and mine so impersonal.

your intent is well communicated as all the graphics compliment one another to make a strong statement.

Linda said...

You don't have to read the explanation to understand what you're trying to convey. It speaks for itself and you did a beautiful job on your piece.

Denim Doll said...

Micki - I think your piece tells your story very well... Remember there is always sunshine behind the clouds - even it you can't see it...

Allison said...

Totally successful! You should be proud of what you have accomplished with this.

Jenny Wren said...

Micki, Your piece conveys the message wonderfully - there is no question about what is happening. My guess is that later in the year, you'll look back at this piece and realize your creative source leaked out whether or not you believe it now. I hope that the rest of your journals will let loose the creativity you seek. Listen and you will hear.

Helen Suzanne said...

I love the silloutte. It feels embryonic and reminds me of a painting i did from a similar head-state. It says to me "here's a place which, when the questions subside the void will be filled by the natural osmosis of universal inspiration". A perfect starting point for the year, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the next ones. Your work has the gift of communication running through it!

Scrapmaker said...

I'll have to chime in with the others and say that it was brilliant to use the aspect of "not being able to create" to create. The shapes are strong, and the message is clear. Jen

LindaPut said...

It sure turned out good for being in a creative slump. Maybe you "primed the pump" with this one and it will be just what you need to get started again. I really like how artistic it looks. I can't wait to see where your journey will lead you. You'll have some built-in cheerleaders to help too. Great job!

Suze said...

I like how you did the sillouete and the borders are a very interesting element - by setting them off center it seems to reflect the frustration theme.