Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Silently Screaming

I took this little test a while back:

You Are 55% Left Brained, 45% Right Brained

The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.


To give you some background I am both left and right handed. By that I mean that I write and eat using my left hand but I am right handed when it comes to things like hand sewing, swinging a bat (it’s been quite some time since I’ve done that), hammering and pretty much anything else. I can use either hand when it comes to painting, but it pretty much depends on what kind of painting I am doing as to which hand I use.

Now let’s see, the test says I am Left Brained and good at communication (this is so not true. I have trouble making small talk with people. It also says I’m likely to be good at math (pretty good, but I don’t mean algebra or calculus) and logic (not always so logical). I do prefer dogs (although I don’t have one right now). I like to read but hardly ever read a book any more. I do like the quiet (very much so at times).

Since according to the test I am not predominantly Right Brained (however I do day dream and I can be pretty flexible when need be), I guess that is why I am having the trouble that I am (meaning I am not as creative as I would like to think I am).


Now here is why I am silently screaming. Nothing is working. The old creative block is setting in. I truly suffer with the Right Brain/Left Brain/No Brain syndrome.


I have been struggling with a piece for a few weeks now. When I first started on it I thought my concept was pretty good. The farther along I went with it the more I have struggled. Now this piece was just supposed to be sort of whimsical and so I really don’t understand why I can’t make it work; but for some reason I am just not liking it. So I decided to lay it aside for now (in fact I buried under some other things) and move on to something else.

But the something else ain’t happening. I’ve tried to do a few small sketches, and I’ve looked through some of my books for inspiration. I thought I had a couple of ideas but when I tried to go with these, something just keeps saying this ain’t gonna work for you.

I am soooo frustrated right now.

4 comments:

Karoda said...

ooo, i hate that feeling and when it takes too long to pass i make myself make fabric postcards which ususally gets me over the hump. and i certainly understand about trying to carry out a design...i can sketch out a design that i think is wonderful but i stumble and fall when i'm trying to wed design with the best technique, especially when i'm attempting some reaslism.

Deb R said...

Welcome to my world. I've been hanging out in CreativeBlockLand for WEEKS now!! It isn't fun here...I'm sorry to see you arrive. Let's hope we both escape this dive soon!

Pat's Place said...

Ah, you are ambidextrious, as was my mother - and I was always jealous that she could do things with EITHER hand while I was just a plain old "righty.'

Your struggle seems to be with two separate concepts - one that involves "struggling" and "making it work" as opposed to the original idea of whimsy. Maybe you could allow your piece to write you a letter telling you what IT wants done to make it sing - allowing your Right Brain permission to speak up over and above the Left Brains need to MAKE it WORK.

Best of luck - I'm sure you'll find your way through to the fun of your art once you quit trying so hard...

Pat in NJ

Debra Spincic said...

Come join us on The Artist Way journey. There are some easy cures for your artistic blocks.