Monday, August 22, 2005

Shorts and Yard Work

Why is it that whenever you go to do something that you think won’t take very long to do it ends up taking you longer? I have been meaning for some time now to take an old pair of jeans and cut them off and make shorts. The last time I did this, that was exactly what I did was to “just cut them off” and left them to ravel. Well I only got to wear them a couple of times because they ripped right up the middle of one leg and they were no longer wearable. So today I thought I would make these shorts to have to wear before I went outside to do some yard work. I intended to put a quick hem in this pair and then scoot outside. As I started to sew a zig zag along the raw edge of one leg I saw the needle stop, and the machine started making this awful sound (it is one of those computerized ones). I thought at first that it had something to do with the fact that I started sewing on that thick inseam and the needle was just having a hard time getting through it. Then I realized that in my haste to get started that I forgot to change out the throat plate from the single holed one to the zig zag one. Duh!

I started to switch the plates and when I removed the first one I saw all this fuzz in the bobbin and surrounding areas and realized I forgot to clean it out last week when I finished quilting. So naturally I had to take the time to clean out the machine before I continued hemming the shorts.


Something that should have only taken a few minutes to do ended up taking twice as long, because I got in a hurry and didn’t pay attention to everything. And, oh yeh, the yard work ended up taking twice as long also!

No comments: