Thursday, August 18, 2005

Memories


Yesterday I mentioned that our dog passed away five years ago. It hit us pretty hard since this was unexpected. A couple of months later, I decided that I wanted to make a memory quilt about him. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but I also hoped that in making the quilt it would help me with the healing process.

The first thing I did was go through my photos and pick out the ones I wanted to use in the quilt. I had never attempted doing photo transfers before so I first tried scanning the photos myself and printing them onto T-shirt transfer paper. I was not happy with the way they turned out. The rubbery feeling did not bother me, but the pictures were sort of faint and they had a crackled look to them. So then I took the photos to the copy store and had them copy them onto photo transfer paper. I had a few extra copies made so I would have something to practice with when trying to figure out the right temperature of the iron and how long to iron them. After a number of tests I decided to go ahead and they all came out pretty good.

I ended up being one photo short of having enough for this simple layout, so rather than having to run to the copy store again I created the blocks with the silhouettes and the dog bones.

It was both painful and a comfort to work on this piece. When it was finished I was glad that I had made it. Our son has this piece.

3 comments:

Conni said...

What a sweet and touching tribute to your companion...

Caitlin said...

that's a beautiful quilt. I'm so sorry for your loss - Gizmo must have been a very special dog. I hope the hurt of missing him gets a little less for you each year...

Elle said...

I love it! It's always hard when you lose them...What a great way to honor the memory of your fuzzy family member!